Monkii clip advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ukoldschool

Doesn't resolve the issue of fitting it in the storage space on the train.
Im not sure why you are seemingly so intent in proving it to be too much work to have been worth while, it was only a 2 minute job with a screwdriver.

Oh, sorry. I should really apologise for joining in on a thread that you started which is entitled '...advice' on a public forum.

I though those pockets on the brompton bag are specifically designed to hold water bottles and be accessible when riding?
I realise you have OCD about changing your habits, but as you had asked for advie, and in my mind putting the water bottle in the place it was designed to go would save you from both: 1. your bike looking like its fallen through the accessory aisle at halfords and 2. solve your transportation issue (as you clearly remove the bag to enable the bike to sit in the gap in the train seats) and also 3. Saving you about £60? I thought it merited discussion.
I have clearly not realised that even though you went to the trouble of requesting advice, that you were in fact too stubborn or/or stupid to act on advice that would be given. Please be assured I shall not interact with you in future, so as to protect you're clearly fragile ego. ;)

PS I am joking :laugh::laugh::laugh::welcome:

Last edited:

ukoldschool

PPS, i'm so sad that I just googled monkiclip on a brompton, and a guy put up a video showing how easy it is to just unclip the bottle when folded and clip it back to the stem so that it is both out of the way and also doesn't leak (the clip works both ways up if that makes sense). But if you prefer to have a brompton covered in jubilee clips because you are an 'Engineer' then you go for it! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

u_i

Über Member
Given that a pocket works for T-bag I went with cloth for the cage, a bottle pouch attached with hose clamps to the mast

1h5v6h.jpg

2urr2nt.jpg

Attachments

• Empty.jpg
    Empty.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 37
  • Full.jpg
    Full.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Oh, sorry. I should really apologise for joining in on a thread that you started which is entitled '...advice' on a public forum.

I though those pockets on the brompton bag are specifically designed to hold water bottles and be accessible when riding?
I realise you have OCD about changing your habits, but as you had asked for advie, and in my mind putting the water bottle in the place it was designed to go would save you from both: 1. your bike looking like its fallen through the accessory aisle at halfords and 2. solve your transportation issue (as you clearly remove the bag to enable the bike to sit in the gap in the train seats) and also 3. Saving you about £60? I thought it merited discussion.
I have clearly not realised that even though you went to the trouble of requesting advice, that you were in fact too stubborn or/or stupid to act on advice that would be given. Please be assured I shall not interact with you in future, so as to protect you're clearly fragile ego. ;)

PS I am joking :laugh::laugh::laugh::welcome:

PPS, i'm so sad that I just googled monkiclip on a brompton, and a guy put up a video showing how easy it is to just unclip the bottle when folded and clip it back to the stem so that it is both out of the way and also doesn't leak (the clip works both ways up if that makes sense). But if you prefer to have a brompton covered in jubilee clips because you are an 'Engineer' then you go for it! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I had started typing out a response to each of you points but deleted it thinking that I am better of saving my breath (or fingers?) I don't think that you quite understood my particular issue I was trying to resolve in regards to the monkii clip as no matter what way up the bottle is attached it is not out of the way as you say when folded and stowage as per the below photo would not be possible.

20181004_174430[1].jpg

It may not be for everyone, but it is a solution to my particular problem which given the popularity of commuting with a Brompton I thought it may prove useful to some others.

Dare I say next faff is to look at some sort of brake on the roller wheels to stop it rolling out into the aisle when the train banks? :o)

Given that a pocket works for T-bag I went with cloth for the cage, a bottle pouch attached with hose clamps to the mast

View attachment 432791

View attachment 432792
Something like that would do me fine it it weren't for the limit on the folded width. Looks useful for all manner of things for short trips when you may not want to carry a bag.:okay:

u_i

Über Member
Something like that would do me fine it it weren't for the limit on the folded width. Looks useful for all manner of things for short trips when you may not want to carry a bag.:okay:

There is no addition to width there to speak of. The compressed pouch adds just the thickness of folded cloth and in the region that is a tad depressed compared to where the width maximizes, in my case by the handlebars if my memory is right.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Had you mounted it offset as I originally suggested, I think you'd have been OK. ;)
I did mount it offset originally, but it cant go round far enough without limiting the turn of the bars by the bottle hitting the bag.

I only set it central on the stem after fitting the second mount.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Also...

How did you end up spending the best part of £60? From your original link each part was about £18 - was postage really £24?
I dunno, that number didn't come from me. I did get charged for postage an each item seperately for some reason so I think it was around £48.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

A little update.

All has been going smoothly for the last couple of months, the clip seems to work quite well, the only possible improvement I could think of would be for a 'monkii bottle' with incorporated mounts to omit the need for the separate cage.

Then last week the clip fell off which I didn't notice until I got to work! I was a bit reluctant to drop £20 on another cage plus bottle, but a few days of cotton mouth and I had ordered a replacement.

That arrived today, so have popped into cycle surgery to get a bottle for it and came across this.

20181210_130818-1397x1862.jpg
20181210_130853_HDR-1862x1397.jpg
20181210_131010_HDR-1862x1397.jpg

Pretty much the system I had in mind. The studs are a different size to those used on the monkii clip, but they can be swapped over.

20181210_133728-1396x1861.jpg
20181210_133733-1396x1861.jpg

First impressions are that it seems a bit more solid than the monkii cage, I presume due to the few connections in the chain. Hopefully this one wont bounce off, time will tell. At least it is a cheaper replacement if it does! :laugh:

12boy

Guru
I hate to have stuff on my bike. I do have an adequate behind the saddle bag though. My strategy is so much less sophisticated than the bottle on the frame etc.. Also free.
1 tank up on water before I ride. If it is going to be hot that will include some Gator Aid. Start out well hydrated.
2 Throw one or two 20 oz stainless bottles in the bag for a longer ride. I like steel over plastic. If it is a cold day, a small stainless thermos with something hot. A little lemon in the water helps freshen the mouth and/or cut the phlegm. I have no problem with stopping for a minute for a drink.
3 Chew some gum if cottonmouth is an issue.

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
I had similar requirements to the original poster but for different reasons. I like to be able to plonk the bike in the back of the car on its side, and since I use SPD's (non removable), the bike gets laid on the side with the stem downward. This meant I had to keep removing the bottle cage which was velcro'd on.

Over xmas I designed this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3327042

It suits my requirements, and if anyone else fancies one (and has access to a 3d printer) you can just download it and print one :-)

Hope its useful to someone else!

Lee

Top Bottom