Moped gangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickNick

I read somewhere that the Police have a policy of not chasing them in cars because there have been a few moped rider hot pursuit deaths. Is there any truth in that?

Yes there are much tighter rules around chasing mopeds and it's very sensible as they can be much more of a threat to general public by being able to easily ride on pavements and pedestrianised areas compared to a car .

classic33

Leg End Member
I read somewhere that the Police have a policy of not chasing them in cars because there have been a few moped rider hot pursuit deaths. Is there any truth in that?
Gopeds/mopeds/motorbikes/quads, local force policy is not to chase them. They may injure themselves should the fall off. Stingers can't be used against them either, in case they come to harm!

No mention of them hurting anyone else though.

@postman, were/are the CCTV cameras private in Leeds still?

Levo-Lon

Guru
We also have a police policy that says the police cant pursue if they dont have a helmet!!

So they throw that away and police stop chasing them. Would it really matter if the fell off? I wont get upset if they get hurt or better still die.

We do still have police cars dont we??

Drago

Legendary Member

That is very true. They almost never pursue two wheelers because of the risk to the rider. Sounds dumb, I mean, who cares if a thief hurts themselves, but the officers potentially face prosecution for manslaughter if Johnny Scumbag falls off and karks it.

"Scrambler" bikes won't be authorised to pursue either - I know, I used to ride them, and the quads.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
That is very true. They almost never pursue two wheelers because of the risk to the rider. Sounds dumb, I mean, who cares if a thief hurts themselves, but the officers potentially face prosecution for manslaughter if Johnny Scumbag falls off and marks it.

"Scrambler" bikes won't be authorised to pursue either - I know, I used to ride them, and the quads.

I knew a young policeman who said the same. Told me about chasing a thief, saw he was going to leap over a wall with a huge drop and so decided to sweep his legs out - the calculation being if he was sued for a broken arm it wouldn't be as bad as for two broken legs and a broken neck.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
They steal one, use it for a few robberies, then dump it. Then steal another one, use it....etc

Some of you may remember my thread when I was robbed of my mobile in London by two people on a moped.

^^^^ is exactly what the police told me. The just steal a moped, commit some crimes, dump the moped. Faces are covered throughout. ccTV is of no practical use

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom