morcambe bay new cycle route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone had any information on the new cycle route opened this week in Morcambe bay, in particular i would like to know if it is suitable for road bikes ie the surface of the road etc, some so called cycle route surfaces are bordering on dangerous, Thanks for anticipated replies.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
From Glasson Dock into Lancaster there's a gravel path, shared use with peds, horses and us lot. Can get a bit muddy in places after rain but perfectly suitable for a road bike. Through Lancaster & Morecambe it's mostly tarmacked shared use paths (slight chance of glass and w@nkers), then Morecambe promenade (which arcs away from the prevailing wind and you'll fly along it). Then possibly a bit of canal towpath, tarmacked, badly.. up to Carnforth. Then lots of quiet roads through Silverdale and Arnside (hilly, yet glorious). I haven't seen a detailed map of the route but i expect it takes in existing routes, which are what I'm basing all this on. Possibly a bit of heavy traffic around Levens bridge (unless they've built a new one for us)... and beyond that, I've no idea. Everyone has a woolly back up there and they talk funny and have wonky teeth :crazy:

edit... I'd have thought it would have started at Knott End instead of Glasson.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You probably won't get many replies here because this is the wrong place on the forum for such questions. I'll see if I can get the thread moved to somewhere where it will get more attention.

OP
OP
Bianchi boy

Bianchi boy

Über Member
You probably won't get many replies here because this is the wrong place on the forum for such questions. I'll see if I can get the thread moved to somewhere where it will get more attention.
Thanks for your assistance, I realised it was in wro g place but did'nt know how to move it Thanks again

OP
OP
Bianchi boy

Bianchi boy

Über Member
From Glasson Dock into Lancaster there's a gravel path, shared use witappreciated peds, horses and us lot. Can get a bit muddy in places after rain but perfectly suitable for a road bike. Through Lancaster & Morecambe it's mostly tarmacked shared use paths (slight chance of glass and w@nkers), then Morecambe promenade (which arcs away from the prevailing wind and you'll fly along it). Then possibly a bit of canal towpath, tarmacked, badly.. up to Carnforth. Then lots of quiet roads through Silverdale and Arnside (hilly, yet glorious). I haven't seen a detailed map of the route but i expect it takes in existing routes, which are what I'm basing all this on. Possibly a bit of heavy traffic around Levens bridge (unless they've built a new one for us)... and beyond that, I've no idea. Everyone has a woolly back up there and they talk funny and have wonky teeth :crazy:

Thankyou for your Info, very much appreciated

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
From Glasson Dock into Lancaster there's a gravel path, shared use with peds, horses and us lot. Can get a bit muddy in places after rain but perfectly suitable for a road bike. Through Lancaster & Morecambe it's mostly tarmacked shared use paths (slight chance of glass and w@nkers), then Morecambe promenade (which arcs away from the prevailing wind and you'll fly along it). Then possibly a bit of canal towpath, tarmacked, badly.. up to Carnforth. Then lots of quiet roads through Silverdale and Arnside (hilly, yet glorious). I haven't seen a detailed map of the route but i expect it takes in existing routes, which are what I'm basing all this on. Possibly a bit of heavy traffic around Levens bridge (unless they've built a new one for us)... and beyond that, I've no idea. Everyone has a woolly back up there and they talk funny and have wonky teeth :crazy:

Cheeky:gun:
Mind you I'm from Manchester so I don't count as a woollyback:biggrin:

This caused a bit of a fuss among the nimbys of Grange over Sands. They all got uppety about cyclists using the prom (which is apparently part of the route). Cycling on the prom was allowed, finally, after the grey haired ninjas (it is very much a retirement destination) tried to stop it by spraying over the signs showing cycling allowed- I kid you not! But you'd have to be potty to cycle the prom. It's narrow in places and on a sunny Sunday is full of families bimbling along eating ice cream. Grange is a nice destination place though, nice cafes - top cake :mrpig:
The junction of the A6-A590 (Levens) is a pain but you could go through Levens village and take the old main road which is now very quiet and then loop around to Grange to pick up.
Sorry I'm rambling, I don't know what the route is either! but I think it uses some of the Walney to Wear route once it gets near here.

OP
OP
Bianchi boy

Bianchi boy

Über Member
There is a 'Report' button below every post. It is mainly used to report offensive posts, but the mods are happy to respond to requests to move or delete things for us.
Thanks Colin

D

Deleted member 23692

It's just new signage and Sustrans stickers on lamp posts to make what was already there seem like something new

Top Bottom