More Aldi gear in on Sunday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I've never understood why people buy cheap tools. There the one item you buy that you'll be using throughout your cycling or motoring life no matter how many cars or bikes you get through in that time, and to faff about with ill fitting crap made of cheese when you need to do some maintenance is surely false economy. Most of my tools I've had for years, my Draper socket set is over forty years old and is still as good as new including the ratchet wrenches, which I will even admit to having used as hammers a few times.

You don't have to splash out for Park tools, there are plenty of other quality makes at reasonable prices. Aldi toolkits always look like cheaply made crap.

I think a lot depends on how much you will use the tool will get. Some tools I will splash out on, but a lot will get used 3 or 4 times in total. The trick is picking the cheap tools that will last that 3 or 4 times and not break on first use.

Slioch

Guru
I'm beginning to run out of enthusiasm a bit for Aldi cycling gear. Probably because I've already got wardrobes full of the stuff.

I wouldn't go for the jerseys or the shorts. They're a bit "over-logo'd" for my taste.

The wireless computer looks a good punt at £6.99 though, especially as it includes a calorie counter and temperature.

The GPX watch also looks good value at £60, as it includes a heart rate monitor and altitude and calories. Not sure what the Crane software would be like though. What are other peoples thoughts on this item?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There the one item you buy that you'll be using throughout your cycling or motoring life no matter how many cars or bikes you get through in that time
Are you sure? I've an unlikely-to-ever-be-used-again two-prong (French?) freewheel extractor and a few tools that I'm not even sure what they are... and I've not even had that many bikes.

As for the Aldi chain tool... I still prefer it to the Cyclo one I snapped third use, although I suspect my Park one would outlast two or three of the Aldi ones.

It is still great value stuff and does the job even if it might not last well. As for most sports stuff, you tend to reach for the best you have when going out, and this, in my case anyway, has meant a fair bit of Aldi stuff that has been replaced by better kit being little used. For newbies it is a great way of finding out what you have a use for, as different people have different styles in their cycling and different needs.
As for the tool kit, I am still using many of the tools from a Lidl kit I bought about 5 years ago. Rarely used things like cone spanners and chain whips are fine. The chain-cracker needs an upgrade. OK at least.

LocalLad

I'm just getting started in cycling, so picked up quite a bit of aldi stuff a couple of months ago..2 pairs of shorts, a top, a saddle bag (with basic multi tool). None is great, but it will all do until I get round to replacing. It's a relatively expensive hobby for a noob, so the aldi stuff let's you get started

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I think a lot depends on how much you will use the tool will get. Some tools I will splash out on, but a lot will get used 3 or 4 times in total. The trick is picking the cheap tools that will last that 3 or 4 times and not break on first use.

paging @Fnaar

I've never got so excited that I've splashed out on some tools, but heyho, each to their own....I think it's called paraphillia.......

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I still have 2 of the tops I bought last summer and they are perfectly OK for me. I won't be buying anything this time around as the kit from previous years is still going strong. Good price on the GT85 though !

Mike_P

Guru
I quite like the stripey sweaters.

Hubster has a pair of their cycling mitts. He wore them just the once as they were useless. They have been sitting on the fridge since the day after the last Aldi cycling offer.

Not found any problem with their mitts, these are thankfully resticted in the silly logo stakes to a single one on the velcro strap. The socks are logo free.

Steady

Über Member
I bought the wireless computer last year and by August/September the magnet was failing to read from the magnet, would work if the magnet was physically scraped against the sensor but otherwise dead to the world, one good point was that the mount could be modified to place it on the stem.

As for the gloves, I've only ever had Aldi gloves, and I've been more than happy with them every year.

Mike_P

Guru
Slight correction, the socks do have Cycling team on their sides but that is obviously hidden in the shoe, I has half expected the top of the sock to be lined with foney adverts.

Slioch

Guru
Just back from Aldi in York. There's tons & tons of stuff left, so think they might be flogging it off cheap in a couple of weeks if people are willing to hold off for a bit.

Got 2 tins of Hai Karate GT85 at £1.99 a pop, which I reckon is the bargain of the century. Also got myself a black gilet.

For Mrs S, I got her a pink pair of shorts and pink socks to go with her existing pink trainers, pink top, pink helmet, and pink gloves (there's a theme running here for the more observant). :girl:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just 2 cans GT85 for me too. Loads of kit left at my local store. Can't help feeling they will begin to cut down on their cycling offers if sales continue to be low. Sad, but the design and colourways of their recent stuff has left a lot to be desired.

Top Bottom