More Aldi gear in on Sunday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No panniers. My local store didn't get any panniers, or they sold the lot before I got there.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I quite like the stripey sweaters.

Hubster has a pair of their cycling mitts. He wore them just the once as they were useless. They have been sitting on the fridge since the day after the last Aldi cycling offer.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was thinking that but it's better than my current toolkit which consists of my multi tool and a fair bit of effing and jeffing!

:whistle:
My attitude is that I don't need professional quality tools to maintain my own pair of bikes. Sure, it's nice to own Park Tools' stuff but I'm never going to get my monies worth out of them if they are only used for a few hours a year. The only exception is a decent pair of brake/gear cable cutters, and even that doesn't have to be a Park Tool pair.

Get your wallet out and get down to Aldi!

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I bought one of those Aldi toolkits about a year ago. I've used the chain whip, cassette nut adapter and the cone nut spanners several times with no bother. The tyre levers broke on first use.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
£15 for a tool set?

I would say that's good value but are the tools of any quality?
Not really. Along with the itchiest merino jumper ever created, the toolkit is the one thing I've regretted buying from Aldi.

Tools made of cheese basically, tyre levers snapped 1st time of use, bendy spanners, multitool so flimsy you can't put much oomph into a tight bolt.

Better than nothing at all and as a guide to what a basic starter kit should be then ok, but really not for regular use.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not used the multitool because I'd already two and I prefer my sculpted tyre levers, but the chain tool, spoke key, BB socket and spanners have worked fine. The freewheel extractor didn't fit a Shimano 7 speed. Probably about worth the money, but not a bargain.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I was in the Batley store this morning - they still had loads of stuff from the last special. The reductions weren't up to much however; I just got a couple of pairs of socks for my youngest.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Why do they ruin the kit by covering it with meaningless logos? All it does is shout 'I've bought cheap kit from Aldi'. And why no mens small gilet? The colourways are not very appealing either. I used to queue up for the cycling kit at Aldi, but I think they've lost the plot recently - and the amount of left over stock in my local store seems to support that.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've never understood why people buy cheap tools. There the one item you buy that you'll be using throughout your cycling or motoring life no matter how many cars or bikes you get through in that time, and to faff about with ill fitting crap made of cheese when you need to do some maintenance is surely false economy. Most of my tools I've had for years, my Draper socket set is over forty years old and is still as good as new including the ratchet wrenches, which I will even admit to having used as hammers a few times.

You don't have to splash out for Park tools, there are plenty of other quality makes at reasonable prices. Aldi toolkits always look like cheaply made crap.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've never understood why people buy cheap tools. There the one item you buy that you'll be using throughout your cycling or motoring life no matter how many cars or bikes you get through in that time, and to faff about with ill fitting crap made of cheese when you need to do some maintenance is surely false economy. Most of my tools I've had for years, my Draper socket set is over forty years old and is still as good as new including the ratchet wrenches, which I will even admit to having used as hammers a few times.

You don't have to splash out for Park tools, there are plenty of other quality makes at reasonable prices. Aldi toolkits always look like cheaply made crap.
I reckon the toolkit is a useful starter, with bits to be replaced as and when necessary. A decent chain splitter seems to be the first thing that needs replacing - mine died the first time I used it and I don't seem to be the only one it's happened to.

Top Bottom