More Cyclists Down - Longley Lane/Sharston Road Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is crazy.

Another this morning, same place as Monday, Longley Lane/Sharston Road, Wythenshawe.

Looked like a right turn into Sharston Road crossing the path of a cyclist. Ambulance and police, no sign of cyclist (in ambulance) but bike being wheeled to one side.

Another incident on Wilmslow Road Didsbury near Fletcher Moss Park - witnessed by colleagues, again another cyclist knocked down.

That's 3 I've seen in 6 commuting days.

Please make sure you leave your lights on, especially when the sun is low - might just save your bacon from these morons that don't look properly.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
now that IS a rubbish junction.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Oh God, hope cyclist not too badly hurt. It seems just as the weather is lifting cyclists spirits to enthusiastic motivated levels, The sun is bringing out a level of moronic twotism in some of the motorized species :evil: .

Take extra care on your commute route fossyant!!!! <- Sorry did I sound like a Mum? :blush:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's a combination of warm weather and seasonal cyclists plus drivers not paying attention.

Don't just think it's cyclists in danger; using the car this am I had 3 near-misses from people not seeing a dayglo yellow Saab :eek:

Bigbud

The ride into Manc hasn't been nice the last couple of weeks, alternations to the road markings on chester road/deansgate has made for some dodgy driving tbh :sad: Plus I'm sure with this sun there are plenty driving to work hung over after a few drinks in the sun.

Stay safe guys :smile:

potsy

Rambler
Fossy strikes again :ohmy:
Have noticed a lot bikes/cars without lights on as I ride home this week, 6am - 6.45am it's starting to get light as I'm halfway home, maybe with the clock change it's taken a few by surprise?

What route change would we advise to avoid this junction?

GrasB

Veteran
It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't to do with people not turning their lights on (or having decent lights in the first place). I really wish the law was changed so lighting up was 1h before sunset to 1h after sunrise the following day

400bhp

Guru
It's one of those sweeping T Junctions that get wider and start to turn in the direction of travel as you get towards the exit - hence meaning cars will often perceive it to be a continuous road.

Thankfully I have never had a problem there. but that's more because it would be on a sat/sun morn when there is little traffic coming from that junction.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I pass that junction most days (depending on route) - it's generally not too bad - you do have to watch out. That said I'm usually in primary before the junction as I'm turning right shortly after (when headding to Northenden).

I think I'm jinxed !

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'm so glad that my commute is now on a fully tarmaced cycle track for 13 of the 15 miles - makes it so much safer and easier.

Top Bottom