More eBay fun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have had a couple of bad experiences recently. Firstly I sold my summer bike, lot's of questions from the eventual buyer beforehand. Three days after he won, and after discussing suitable dates/times for him to pick up, he decides that he lives too far away and wants me to cancel the auction. Three days after all that he has changed his mind and wants the bike. Unfortunately for him I had contacted the guy who missed out by a tenner and offered it to him. I took great pleasure in telling the original buyer that he had missed out. My second experience was just yesterday, I purchased a computer monitor that included free delivery. Three hours after I had paid the seller decides that he should have charged for delivery and cancels the sale with the reason that I did not supply a delivery address :evil:

RichardB

Slightly retro
My only bad experience of eBay was when I sold a Nikon camera kit. It consisted of a body, 3 lenses, various filters and attachments and all in a zip-up camera bag. Because of the size/weight I gave a realistic UK postage cost in the listing, and clearly stated "UK bidders only, will not post overseas". The item sold to a last-minute snipe bidder ... from California. I found out the total shipping cost (around £50, from memory) and sent him an invoice. He said the cost was excessive, and wanted to pay me a reduced amount in dollars, which I refused because of bank charges. I didn't hear from him again, despite attempts to contact, except that three weeks later he left me massively negative feedback for being a 'greedy seller' who tried to rip him off on shipping. It's the only negative I have ever had in 18 years of eBay selling, and it still irritates me. Ebay wouldn't consider removing the negative without his agreement, and he was uncontactable. Happily, shortly afterwards eBay changed to giving your feedback % based on the last 12 months, rather than for ever, so after a year it didn't matter.

I've had years of trouble free purchases on Ebay until the last year.
Dodgy Schwalbe tyres, 8 speed 'Shimano' shifters. So much so eBay isn't the first place I look anymore.
The old saying that if it looks to good to be true then it isn't seems like good advice.
The trouble is if you're looking for used or discontinued parts where else is there other than eBay.

Top Bottom