More money!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
More money than sense, seems to me quite a stupid saying in that most people would like some more of the stuff but to get it you need to be thick. Seems to me that the saying should be clever enough to be richer than me.

Arch

Married to Night Train
No, I think some people can have plenty of money and little sense. Sense (as in common sense) doesn't just equate to IQ or 'cleverness'.

More money than sense would apply to someone who, say, went out and spent more than they needed to, to buy something, without checking out any alternatives, and ended up a worse item than they could have got. They might be very clever, but just lazy, or unaware.

Sense, of course, can also stand for 'taste'. In that case, it might apply to someone with a mansion with gold taps and marble bannisters or something.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just watched an excellent BBC4 film about nomads in America; you bring to mind a quoted definition of the country ascribed to Johnny Depp: Limitless appetite, no taste.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My boss certainly fits Arch's description; for months he had been talking about buying a bike and getting fit. I had been feeding him titbits of information and hoping to steer him in the right direction but last week I heard a rumour..... he's buying a BMW road bike from his dealer's accessories catalogue!

Massive D'OH!

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
My boss certainly fits Arch's description; for months he had been talking about buying a bike and getting fit. I had been feeding him titbits of information and hoping to steer him in the right direction but last week I heard a rumour..... he's buying a BMW road bike from his dealer's accessories catalogue!

Massive D'OH!

I suppose it depends if it actually is a BMW or something else lurking under a paint job?

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Globalti, I would say if you do not like that bike then you have little taste, not your boss. What was you steering him towards something from Halfrauds?

defy-one

That bike is lovely - would look great parked next to my 530 M Sport!!!!

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk

Arch

Married to Night Train
Globalti, I would say if you do not like that bike then you have little taste, not your boss. What was you steering him towards something from Halfrauds?

I think it looks naff. And boring. Just another road bike, sort of thing a man in a mid life crisis throws money at in the expectation that it'll make getting fit easy. Only with the added 'bonus' of a brand name synonymous with wankerish driving.

I bet within a few months it's at the back of a shed unused, when he finds out that you do still have to pedal uphill and get out of breath. If he wanted to get fit, he could buy something perfectly suitable for a fraction of a price, and still pay more than most people could ever think a pushbike needed to cost.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Well to me that bike looks perfectly suited to getting fit on, also it is what I would expect to pay for a quality machine. OK we know that most people pack up trying to get fit but many on this forum for instance did not.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If the guy seriously wants to get fit, he should commute, ride every day, build it up. That bike's so practical isn't it, with no mudguards, no rack, material that's written off in a blink. Telling for me that the first half of the description is all about what colour it is. Oh and how little it weighs, because if you want to get fit, then of course it stands to reason you should try and make as little effort as possible to ride it....

And many on this forum started out with basic cheap bikes, upgrading once they knew what mattered most to them. I bet a great many have never, and will never, need to spend that sort of money on bikes that go round the world, commute every day, or give them all the fun they need.

(Personally, my most expensive machine retailed at just under a grand - and for that I got three wheels, and we did a very happy, comfortable 1000 miles through France together.)

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
It is all down to disposable income, the grand you payed would be unreachable for many, but to some it is pocket money.

We have read many posts on here of people buying the wrong or poor quality bike first time, then having to upgrade etc.

This sentence is one I use in my business advertising. " Nobody ever regrets buying quality."

As for 3 wheels, come on that is just eccentricity and attention seeking.^_^

Arch

Married to Night Train
This sentence is one I use in my business advertising. " Nobody ever regrets buying quality."

That's true. I just dispute how much actual quality is being bought at that price, and how much is just brand name and posing.

For example, I buy Sainsburys Basic tinned tomatoes to cook with, at 33p a tin. I could pay double that or more for a branded tin, for no appreciable increase in quality - the value of the finished dish is all in what I do with them. To me, paying more is not clever, it's stupid. That's a very small scale example, I know, but as they say, look after the pennies, and the pounds will look after themselves.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think it looks naff. And boring. Just another road bike, sort of thing a man in a mid life crisis throws money at in the expectation that it'll make getting fit easy. Only with the added 'bonus' of a brand name synonymous with wankerish driving.

I bet within a few months it's at the back of a shed unused, when he finds out that you do still have to pedal uphill and get out of breath. If he wanted to get fit, he could buy something perfectly suitable for a fraction of a price, and still pay more than most people could ever think a pushbike needed to cost.

Thanks Arch, you saved me the trouble of typing all that!

The bloke is filthy rich, about 50, 100% sedentary and he knows diddly-squat about bikes. Rather than accept my advice to go for a Roubaix type bike for a comfortable ride, bought from a good bike shop he's headed straight for the most ostentatious status symbol he can find, bought from a car dealer FFS. My faith in his judgement has been badly shaken.

Top Bottom