More real steel...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
happening.gif

Recovery companion

Of course, she's merely using the staff as a warm lump while basking in the sunlight (whahey! Sunlight!).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stopping the opioid meds will help or at least reducing if you can. It took me nearly a week after my back op in 1993, times were different then..I was still in hospital...I had to use a commode on the ward :ohmy:
TMI ummmm maybe!

I was a naughty lad on my hospital stay - couldn't actually go lying down, so I'd gingerly lower myself out of the bed and sit over the 'cat litter tray' as gravity helped. Fortunately the nurses didn't catch me getting out of bed. One slip and I'd have been paralysed.

Today was removal of the 6 (6! Only had 2 last time...) heavy gauge deep tension sutures.
It was...unpleasant. Very unpleasant.
But feels a good bit more comfortable now.
Hopefully some more sleep tonight!
Well, that was hopeful...
The presence of those big sutures was one problem. I didn't anticipate for an instant the discomfort caused by their absence.
That and some reaction to the dressings made it feel as if someone was playing a blowtorch over my back.
Anyhow, today I decided to unilaterally change my medication. And what a differrence that has made!
I'd been on diclofenac for eons to help with my creaking skeleton, but had been pulled off this prior to surgery as they said it contributed to bleeding. First I've ever heard that it was more than a minor gastric irritant...
Also, as usual, been working my way through a bottle of OraMorph, plus the usual regular paracetamol.
Now switched to tramadol SR 100mg morning/evening, and back on the diclofenac, along with the paracetamol. This means I have generally less pain, plus my hips no longer object to their own existence. I really might get some decent sleep tonight!
There's definitely more normality in movement, too, which makes for a more positive all round recovery.
Upward!

pawl

Legendary Member
Well, that was hopeful...
The presence of those big sutures was one problem. I didn't anticipate for an instant the discomfort caused by their absence.
That and some reaction to the dressings made it feel as if someone was playing a blowtorch over my back.
Anyhow, today I decided to unilaterally change my medication. And what a differrence that has made!
I'd been on diclofenac for eons to help with my creaking skeleton, but had been pulled off this prior to surgery as they said it contributed to bleeding. First I've ever heard that it was more than a minor gastric irritant...
Also, as usual, been working my way through a bottle of OraMorph, plus the usual regular paracetamol.
Now switched to tramadol SR 100mg morning/evening, and back on the diclofenac, along with the paracetamol. This means I have generally less pain, plus my hips no longer object to their own existence. I really might get some decent sleep tonight!
There's definitely more normality in movement, too, which makes for a more positive all round recovery.
Upward!

pleased to her your feeling a bit better.As my old mum used to say make haste slowly.

Last edited:
Opioids done with. Phew.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I broke one of my lower ribs about 12 months ago and the co codomol didn't touch the pain... the doc gave me 100 tramadol, I have 98 left, just didn't like being so spaced out.
Good to hear you are progressing^_^

Wow that would be impressive.

Do you think the surgery has worked ?
So far as I can tell, yes. Previously, apart from any pain/bowel/bladder problems, a standing cough would threaten to put me on the floor as my legs ceased to work. That's definitely not the case now, so I'm optimistic everything else will fall into line. Early days still, but it does look good.
My only negative is that the scar/wound is, as it were, very messy compared to the previous fusion. Not at all pretty. But a minor point in the grand scheme of things...

So far as I can tell, yes. Previously, apart from any pain/bowel/bladder problems, a standing cough would threaten to put me on the floor as my legs ceased to work. That's definitely not the case now, so I'm optimistic everything else will fall into line. Early days still, but it does look good.
My only negative is that the scar/wound is, as it were, very messy compared to the previous fusion. Not at all pretty. But a minor point in the grand scheme of things...

great news mate.

Top Bottom