Morgan Under The Microscope

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did anyone else see How To Build British
(Channel 4)
The episode following the build of a Morgan Plus 6

I've seen quite a few clips of the factory. particularly the Ash frame being cut, but not to this detail
It adds credence to the £89,000 that this particular car cost

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-build

At the segment that covered the Geneva show announcement of the Plus6, they showed a silver-grey '6' with a blue interior:eek:
Quite novel, but I liked it!!!
(even though I do prefer the traditional 'Tan' of the featured Plus 6)

Morgan_Plus_6_1.jpg

https://www.morgan-motor.com/plus-six/

However, I'm sttill a sucker for the older Plus 8, & the utterly wonderful 'LIFEcar:wub:
https://www.morgan-motor.com/announcement/lifecar/
http://www.hydrogen-motors.com/Morgan.html

Last edited:
I remember when Sir John Harvey Jones gave them 5 years to modernise or die on Troubleshooter back in the 90s and they still seem to be doing ok - doesn't everyone love a Morgan? ^_^

MarkF

Guru
If there is one expensive car that I'd love to own it'd be a Morgan, there are loads of cars I'd like to have "a go" in but none I'd really want to own and use, they are special IMO, even after the recent upgrades. I used to spend ages on the website car configurater. :okay:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Not that i would fit in a Morgan like, but they're alright. Hard to hate but i guess some have managed it. The closest im likely to get to owning one is with a Pashley-Morgan 8 Path racer Bike. Im my opinion, the Spokes should be black...
main-pashley-morgan-8.jpg

MarkF

Guru
For me it's partly because of the metal, front to back, even modern Ferraris/Lamborghinis have massive plastic appendages fore and aft that for me, dilute the appeal. I want one.:wub:

Gunk

Guru
I drove a four cylinder Morgan about 15 years ago from Arnage back to our campsite at Le Mans, the owner was legless so I drove it back. It was horrible to drive, they are a curio, an expensive indulgence. My £89,000 would go on something a bit more developed and modern.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I remember when Sir John Harvey Jones gave them 5 years to modernise or die on Troubleshooter back in the 90s and they still seem to be doing ok - doesn't everyone love a Morgan? ^_^
I remember that particular programme. It was a great series. I think they survived because they didn't "modernise".

MarkF

Guru
I remember that particular programme. It was a great series. I think they survived because they didn't "modernise".

They have now, to an extent, but for me they still keep the appeal. As an aside, I think of Saab, Jeep, Subaru trying to popularise when a % out there are willing to pay a premium for something different and quality. Playing around with the Morgan configurater again.:okay:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
They have now, to an extent, but for me they still keep the appeal. As an aside, I think of Saab, Jeep, Subaru trying to popularise when a % out there are willing to pay a premium for something different and quality. Playing around with the Morgan configurater again.:okay:
Like Cozy Powell, I am/was a Saab man. I even had a Saab 9000 Aero. Ridiculous rapid car. Unlike Cozy Powell the poor sod, i choose to wear my seat belt, not drink, talk on a phone or travel at 100+mph. :sad:

I had a mk1 Saab 9-3 Aero which was basically a Vauxhall Cavalier and it was a pile of scrap. The torque steer was horrendous and the peddles moved when you turned the steering wheel 😬. The bulkhead was too thin for the car and often cracked! A common issue...

GM knackered them...

Gunk

Guru
Like Cozy Powell, I am/was a Saab man. I even had a Saab 9000 Aero. Ridiculous rapid car. Unlike Cozy Powell the poor sod, i choose to wear my seat belt, not drink, talk on a phone or travel at 100+mph. :sad:

I had a mk1 Saab 9-3 Aero which was basically a Vauxhall Cavalier and it was a pile of scrap. The torque steer was horrendous and the peddles moved when you turned the steering wheel 😬. The bulkhead was too thin for the car and often cracked! A common issue...

GM knackered them...

I had an ‘83 8 valve 3 door turbo back in 1986. It was a company car, I inherited it from a chap who was fired! I only ran it for about 10 months, but I have very fond memories of it.

Drago

Legendary Member
A Morgan? No ground clearance, youd get stuck in the snow, no room to chuck the dog in the back. Hopeless vehicles and the attraction steadfastly remains a mystery to me.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Do they pass the Europeen crash test as I seem to remember that a lot of the body is actually made of wood? Correct me if I am wrong.

Top Bottom