Morgan Under The Microscope

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Do they pass the Europeen crash test as I seem to remember that a lot of the body is actually made of wood? Correct me if I am wrong.
Is that not one of the getarounds? they deliberately only produce a certain number each year which gives them exemption from many of the regulations, it has also worked in their favour at making their order book long. Not sure if it's still the case but people were ordering them with no intention of going through with the actual purchase & selling their spot in the queue for an inflated price. Like to own one but suspect not for very long, but not that model that the Hamster owned, that was hideous. I too remember the Sir John Harvey Jones program, he wasn't often wrong in business but he was in this case.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Given a choice between a Morgan and an MX5 it would be the Mazda every time. A modern sports car at a fraction of the price.

MarkF

Guru
Given a choice between a Morgan and an MX5 it would be the Mazda every time. A modern sports car at a fraction of the price.

I have this, the best I could find, Mk1, red, pop up headlights, not been messed with and no rust. If anybody wants to give me a Morgan for it then please get in touch.^_^ They are great fun, cheap to run and insure, if I got around to fixing the slow moving windows then it'd be all like new.:okay:

full?d=1555854704.jpg

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
In the mid 1970s a then friend had a Plus 4 and a work colleague's husband had a Plus 8. I never managed to get a ride in the Plus 8, but the Plus 4 was fun.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I had a ride in a friends Westfield about 17 years ago. I believe it had a 1.6 rover k series engine but weighed nothing and was quick. So quick in fact almost fell out of the thing when decided to show me some spirited driving... :rolleyes:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
At the segment that covered the Geneva show announcement of the Plus6, they showed a silver-grey '6' with a blue interior:eek:
Quite novel, but I liked it!!!
(even though I do prefer the traditional 'Tan' of the featured Plus 6)

View attachment 520426

https://www.morgan-motor.com/plus-six/

However, I'm sttill a sucker for the older Plus 8, & the utterly wonderful 'LIFEcar:wub:
https://www.morgan-motor.com/announcement/lifecar/
http://www.hydrogen-motors.com/Morgan.html

On a tour of Aston Martin Works Service at Newport Pagnell they showed us the remenants of the bright purple leather they'd just finished retrimming a DBS interior with - highlighted with bright yellow stitching. I guess you pay your money...

For me it's partly because of the metal, front to back, even modern Fiats/Audis have massive plastic appendages fore and aft that for me, dilute the appeal.

FTFY ;)

I drove a four cylinder Morgan about 15 years ago from Arnage back to our campsite at Le Mans, the owner was legless so I drove it back. It was horrible to drive, they are a curio, an expensive indulgence. My £89,000 would go on something a bit more developed and modern.

I thought that the first time I drove a Porsche 911 - hard work in heavy traffic with cumbersome controls. A few years later I drove another one in more suitable circumstances and it was a revelation.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just watched it, would have been nice to get in a bit deeper to how things were done, but very interesting

Gunk

Guru
I thought that the first time I drove a Porsche 911 - hard work in heavy traffic with cumbersome controls. A few years later I drove another one in more suitable circumstances and it was a revelation.

I owned two air cooled 911’s over a 10 year period, best cars I’ve ever owned, nothing has ever replicated that unique experience, except my early Fireblade. They just feel special!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Not sure about that, I feel it's one of those if it's your dream you never want to actually do it, to shatter the illusion.

MarkF

Guru
Morgan 3-wheeler for me. My dream car! One day . . . ;)
View attachment 521111
Yeah, they look so much fun. I'd love one of those and they are a bit more within my £ range than other Morgans.

I think some of the comments miss (spectacularly) Morgans appeal for some, I have a 1962 Vespa, a 2010 Honda PCX beats it in every way, fit, finish, reliability, economy, but............it's a modern piece of disposable plastic.

1589058333731.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom