Morning everyone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Oh it's nice to be back. You guys make coming home worthwhile.

Well...the potted version is:

Had a great weekend in Delhi with some friends of ours, then joined the group. 11 of us, everyone got on really well throughout the trip. We got an overnight train to Jodphur and did some cycle sightseeing there which introduced us to Indian traffic. Terrifying but a total adrenaline rush. From Jodphur we cycled through some gorgeous mountains for an afternoon before ending up in the stunning lakeside town of Udaipur, which was just breathtaking. The local paper came to take our photograph - we were a bit of a travelling freak show, the locals just stared at us the entire trip!!

We then headed back into the mountains for a couple of days, visiting some pretty incredible temples and forts on the way. We ended up in Pushkar which was a total dump, and then cycled on through a furnace-like plain to Jaipur, which was really buzzing and vibrant.

From there we cycled down the nastiest, most potholed road ever, accompanied by a jeep full of policemen as apparently there had been some stone throwing on previous trips, although we were fine, and we ended up at Ranthambore Tiger reserve where we spent the next day doing some safaris. I was totally gutted that we didn't get to see one.

From there we cycled on to Bharatpur to a famous bird sanctuary, and then one last day of cycling to an old capital city, Fatepur Sikri which was the last bit of cycling. We then coached into Agra (dive) but were blown away by both the Fort and the Taj Mahal (where we also saw Joanna Lumley) and then back to Delhi to fly home.

We covered about a thousand miles, so didn't cycle all the way - we had a coach which carried us and the bikes on the boring, ugly bits. Initially I was a bit disappointed as I'd wanted to cycle all the way, but soon came to realise that in order to see the wonderful things we did, we could never have cycled it all in a fortnight, so found the trip a great compromise between cycling and simply being on holiday!

The best bit though was the cycling, specifically cycling through desperately poor villages where the kids would run hurtling through the streets and fields when they saw us coming, to shout hello and wave furiously. They were just gorgeous, they made us feel like royalty and were the one thing I'll never forget.

So that's the short version. If you want the long version (and I think it's going to be VERY long) the link is:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=rzyi&doc_id=2902&v=2i

But seriously, thanks for the lovely welcome back, much appreciated.

Top Bottom