Morning rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fattony

Are there any tips for morning rides?

I have a fairly active job and seem to have much faster rides at the end of the day opposed to morning, I presumed that in the morning it’s a case of not giving myself chance to ‘get going’ but I’d also expect that in the evening I’m more tired from 12 hours at work

Thanks

PK99

Legendary Member
Paging @Fnarr

Slick

Guru
Everyone's different, I'm a morning man myself (more tea vicar:blush:) my favourite time of day especially at this time of year is 6am commute rides. I reckon it will depend on what you have had to do up until now that will decide if you can get upto speed early doors. I worked in an industry that required full physical effort from the very first minute of the day, but others are more used to a much slower build up to get up to speed. I don't think it matters much either way when it comes to exercise performance now though.

OP
OP
F

fattony

I’m up Monday to Friday around 5.30am but have a 2 - 2.5 hour drive to work so don’t ‘get going’ till around 8am.

I don’t generally eat breakfast till 7.30 so I struggle to eat something at 6am before a ride but feel I should, I then force myself to eat and thing how long should I wait before I go out.

You could be right relax a bit more and take some snacks rather than force food in

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m up Monday to Friday around 5.30am but have a 2 - 2.5 hour drive to work so don’t ‘get going’ till around 8am.

I don’t generally eat breakfast till 7.30 so I struggle to eat something at 6am before a ride but feel I should, I then force myself to eat and thing how long should I wait before I go out.

You could be right relax a bit more and take some snacks rather than force food in
Sounds like you need a job closer to home...for many reasons! Not least, 4-5 hours driving a day just to commute :ohmy:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I read somewhere that the body is naturally able to generate more power in the afternoon. But I wouldn't worry about speed. Just enjoy being out on the bike. You'll know if you're working hard or not.

OP
OP
F

fattony

Ha ha, it’s the commute into London, 2 hour minimum each way by van!

Will have to keep trying it and see how I get on

Johnno260

Veteran
Only tip I can offer is prepare as much as possible the night before, I get my bike in the house lights all fitted etc, clothes and gear out ready, my work bags packed and clothes out ready.

This way I roll out of bed, eat drink and roll out the door, return throw bike in the boot, get cleaned and ready and out the door.

Get to outskirts of T Wells, park and commute the last 3rd of the way in.

If it’s a full commute it’s easier to get ready.

This time of year early rides are the best, it’s light, it’s warm but not blistering hot, I love it.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
I do shortish rides - up to 40 miles or so, without food. I can start work when I like, often around 9 and have a 10 minute commute. I get up and out by 6 some days, do a 35 mile loop, home for breakfast, shower, dress and commute to work for 9.

It depends on your body clock, I like doing an audax which starts at 6am, but staying on a campsite nearby it generally means a 4.30 alarm.

Top Bottom