What animals have you seen on your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon in Sweden

Did a long gravel and road ride to the seaside today (159km) with a lot of time in the wilderness through the forest.

Saw a golden eagle fairly close up. It was munching on something on the track and took off and flew down the track when it spotted me. It's wingspan wasn't a million miles off the width of the track. Very impressive.

Also several deer, many many water birds (cycling along the shore path alongside the Kalmar Strait) and a lizard ran out in front of me at one point 😁

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Only by pure luck does one ever spot a hummingbird nest as its only about the size of a golf ball.
P1050154.JPG

P1050147.JPG

Jon in Sweden

Only by pure luck does one ever spot a hummingbird nest as its only about the size of a golf ball.
View attachment 697099

View attachment 697100

That's a wonderful bird to spot. An achievement even to see it!

I'm most of the way back from cycling to the seaside today, and I saw jellyfish and a bass whilst bathing to cool off. I don't like jellyfish and promptly got out.

A nice view though.

Attachments

• IMG_20230702_113151_9.jpg
    IMG_20230702_113151_9.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: C R

Ripple

Veteran
White storks in Lithuania. They gather like this when they are ready to leave for winter. Bad photo quality of mobile phone.

gandrai.jpg

Common cranes somewhere in north Poland.

gerves.JPG

Most exotic animal I've ever seen while cycling was a European bison. They live free in Lithuania and coincidentaly a large herd of them roam in the area where I lived and cycled. Shame I don't have any photos of them but then they aren't the animals you want to be close to.

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

There are rheas loose in Norfolk! Twelve of them escaped from a farm at Stalham, seven have been caught and the remaining five were last seen enjoying the delights of Happisburg. I haven't been near the location, and certainly don't want to go around a corner and have one in front of me - the official advice is they are likely to attack and have a hefty kick and very sharp claws .... do not approach.

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

On my ride today just alongside the Stody estate in North Norfolk, I saw in the distance (maybe 150 m away) what I thought was a length of plastic rolling along the road. As I got closer, I saw they were animals side-by-side! There must have been 8 young and a parent guiding them. Having stopped I considered getting the camera out of the rack bag, but decided I was very unlikely to get a photo. They briefly stopped and looked at me, then departed for the hedge. I thought they were ferrets or stoats at the time, but having searched online images, they could be polecats. I don't expect I'll ever see them again.

Gillstay

Über Member
Kangaroos and a zebra, plus a veritable menagerie of other beasts. In Belgium, somewhere in the vicinity of Ostend.

View attachment 697297

View attachment 697295

I think thats' a Wallaby Mate. ^_^

Tomm Williams

Oh jeez this might take a minute to recall….

Rattlesnake
Bald Eagle
Deer
Bear
Raccoon
Coyote
Bobcat
Rodents of every species
Turkey
Badger
Vultures
Pronghorn antelope
Buffalo
Llama or Alpaca (get them confused)
Skunk

Probably forgot a few other

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The one-l lama
He's a preist
The two-l llama
He's a beast
And I will bet
A silk pyjama
There isn't any
Three-l lllama

Ogden Nash

RMR

Several House Martins, 1 Swallow, Pheasant, 3 GC Grebes, 4 Greylag Geese, Several Jacksaws & Carrion Crow and a Common Buzzard mewing.

Top Bottom