Most "Avid" Cycling Country?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I hired a bike in Chicago on a stop over a few years ago. Great cycle lane along Lake Michigan and I was impressed how drivers gave way to cyclists. You rarely get that in the UK.

i noticed that around the Bay of Naples there was no noticeable cycling, but saying that it was terrifying driving there, you’d have to be suicidal to cycle there.
My experience of the south of Italy is that it's not an avid cycling territory in the general real sense.
Many folks addicted to cars, see utility cycling as something for the poor.
Looked down upon.
It is changing slowly though I think - it will bloody well have to.

Lots of mamils of course - looking just-so.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cycling in the UK has benefited from success at the Olympics post-2008, the staging of the Tour de France in 2014 and subsequent annual Tour de Yorkshire.
Not in the long term it didn't, sadly. Just a few months ago, Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson berated successive governments about overemphasis on elite sport and not broadening it to mass walking and cycling:

"My own passion for watching the Games is no secret, but I also recognise that it’s not for everybody, and even for those people it does inspire to be active, the effect can be short-lived. Far too often the debate on elite sport, inspiration, and population changes in activity have been conflated. This conflation is to the detriment of everyone and means our sector has fallen short of playing its fullest role in society. Because it has created false hopes on matters such as “legacy” from major sporting moments. It has also deflected important focus away from the parts of our sector that are the lead drivers of activity on a mass scale – with fitness and leisure being one of them, alongside walking, cycling, and running." (full speech)

The levels of cycling, number of trips, distance and % of people cycling, had remained stubbornly pretty steady during the 2010s. The covid crisis saw cycling levels surge (for example, a 75% increase in leisure cycling trips overwhelming a 20% decline in utility trips), but also a surge in inactivity (an increase of sitting still by 2 hours/day).

Parts of the UK are pretty good for cycling, with London and some university cities leading the way, but we're a long way behind all our neighbours plus Denmark. We still don't even have standard designs that highways departments really have to stick to, so you can never be sure if a blue bike lane sign is going to lead you to heaven (gliding effortlessly into town on a straight flat smooth road with priority or bridges across motorists to a large cycle parking area or a key junction) or hell (an agility test of tight turns and long waits, conflicting with walkers and bumping over kerbs and cobbles), even within one city.

While it's probably still the least bike-friendly of neighbouring countries, France in particular seems to have moved on in leaps and bounds the last few years, although it's very uneven and variable by region, but I don't think any region of the UK has matched any of France (and why would it, with England's regional government being abolished, and the "metro mayors" replacing it in some parts of the country being more interested in glitzy gadgetbahns like self-driving electric buses in tunnels). Maybe London has kept pace with average France, but Paris is making bigger changes.

If I was looking for most avid country, it's probably Belgium for the mix of sporting and utility. The infrastructure isn't as good as the Netherlands, maybe almost on a level with Denmark, especially in the south/east, but it's improving and spreading and it remains the only country where I've had the police stopping the traffic for us on a big €20 tourist office ride. Even without police, drivers often slowed/stopped without being required if there was any chance we might want to cross their path. That's a level of care which I've not noticed in the Netherlands, which is probably just as well because Belgium's worse infrastructure does put you in conflict with motorists much more often. I'm not sure how this came about, because 20-30 years ago, it was said that Belgian drivers preferred to crash than give way if not compelled and the number of dented cars backed it up.

Gravel-Biker

Not easy to answer. Every nation had their up and downs. But a very enthusiastic fanbase was and is France, in my opinion. They always worshipped their heros, despite from Doping etc. Same applies for Italy and Spain, a little more less for Belgium and Netherlands.

Suprisingly the enthusiasm in those countries doesn't decrease, to the opposite, it remains constantly. This does not apply to Germany where I live. I remember the late 1990, especially 1997, when Jan Ullrich won as first and only German the TdF. In previous times cycling was in Germany not very common, no one wasted a thought for this sport. But with "Ulle" things changed, it was not believable.

When Jan Ullrich rode a bike, Germany went crazy. At work, on public places people were looking for his competition with Lance Armstrong. I know these times were problematic due to doping, but apart from that it was awesome, thrilling. In my opinion. 🙂

In August 2001 I had the opportunity to watch "Ulle" and some other cyclists such as Erik Zabel by "Versatel Classic" in Dortmund. Jan Ullrich won the race, and when he passed the target line he came back to get the hands from his fans. I was lucky and got his hand, too.

But, this is so long ago, and you all know what happened later. 😢

When he was kicked out by Team Telekom the enthusiasm in Germany dropped. Today nobody is interested. But we have no pro who would be able in foreseeable time to win an important race. Some pros have the ability to climb, as Emanuel Buchmann, but they are pretty bad in time-trial. Nobody has the skills of Jan Ullrich. He was an allrounder, someone very rare. And with a beautiful style, too.

I miss these times, and my enthusiasm is also gone, nearly. And I'm not alone with this feelings. Germany is relating to sport "heros" very extreme, either they love you or they hate you. There is nothing between this. Not always very appropiate....

A bit further afield...... Colombia.
I've just completed 3 months cycling top to bottom and it is the most desirable cycling country I've visited - and I lived in NL for 20+ years.

The respect for cyclists on the road is phenomenal. It has two of the most famous roads in the world for cycling - Alto de Letras and El Trampolín de la muerte.

The bike is for transport as well as recreation. I've never seen so many cars with bike racks attached.

And the views are amazing!

Alto de Letras

The Trampoline of Death

Big roads......

Backroads

Honourable mention to Honduras too - probably the most concentrated place for goodwill I've come across with some terrible roads and some downright amazing ones!

OP
OP
mpemburn

mpemburn

Very interesting—thanks.

To give you an idea of what the recreational road cycling scene is like where I live (Harford County, Maryland, US): we have two clubs in my county, one that’s pretty much hardcore, fast riders and the other that embraces a broader spectrum of capabilities. I belonged to the latter until I decided that I’m happiest riding by myself.

Big events (like charity rides or yearly centuries) can attract 50-60 riders. When I’m out on a nice day, I will usually encounter a couple dozen riders in groups or solo. In cold weather, I seldom see more than two or three riders on the most frequently traveled roads.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
mpemburn

mpemburn

A bit further afield...... Colombia.
Cool ^_^

One of my best cycling friends is a second generation Colombian-American. OMG can she climb! Her father was a national-level competitor in the 1950s, though he hung up his wheels when the family moved to the States.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Big events (like charity rides or yearly centuries) can attract 50-60 riders.

Big cycling events here in the U.K can attract a few thousand. A cycling event of 50-60 riders would be classed small scale. Mind in these pandemic years a sighting of more than 10 riders together is rare.

Reactions: C R

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I’ve always been impressed with the attitude of drivers when I’ve been cycling in Spain. So civilised and no beeping of horns or aggression, at least in my experience.

C R

Guru
Clothing rules for cyclists bordering on the bizarre mean they're not the most avid cycling country, though.
What are those rules? My friends in Spain seem to dress the same as I do here, nothing special as I far as I can tell.

C R

Guru
Growing up in Spain the vuelta was always a big event, with wall to wall TV, radio and press coverage. However, around me cycling was mostly a kids thing and some rare older utility cyclists. This was a very rural area, so little traffic on the lanes and fairly safe to ride. It was only once I went to university that I came across cycle commuting and cycling clubs, not that I was doing any cycling at the time.

Top Bottom