Most overrated band?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Empirical evidence dictates that oasis is the most overrated band in the world.

However, if you divide that evidence by how entertaining the gallagher brothers are in interviews, they become the most underrated band.

Renard

Too clever by far :tongue:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
User482 said:
Oh dear. I like:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Radiohead
REM
The Smiths/ Morrissey
David Bowie
Bob Marley

So looks like my musical taste annoys just about all of you!

Though I do think that Pink Floyd are an abomination - the only thing worse than them are their tedious fans.

I'll try to be less tedious in future...

Fab Foodie

Flying_Monkey said:
I don't know why people can't enjoy the interplay - equally, people are bound to defend bands they like if someone else says they are overrated... and why not?

True, there are no absolutes in this except the undeniable truth that the most overated band in the world will be the one that NME is frothing at the mouth over on any given week...

Fab Foodie said:
I'll try to be less tedious in future...
Heh, I rather like the Floyd too, in all of their incarnations. The serious fans can be pretty hard going though (repeat for the heavy duty fans of pretty much any band). At the end of the day, all rock music is basically silly, for various values of 'silly'.

Abitrary

I tried pink floyd during a particular depressing time of my life, and it made me worse.

I think that most pink floyd fans suffer some sort of similar circular regression.

Abitrary said:
I tried pink floyd during a particular depressing time of my life, and it made me worse.

I think that most pink floyd fans suffer some sort of similar circular regression.
I can't, to this day, listen to the Wall all the way through. And that dates back to 1991.

Fab Foodie

I find Floyd helps to lift me from my melancholy.

Chuffers, I very much agree with your earlier post regarding the Beatles where you said that music has to 'move' you in some way and I'm of the same view. However good and important the Beatles are, their music rarely moves me, it's like aural bubble-gum, whereas The Kinks, The Stones, The Who of a similar era all made a big impression. But Pink Floyd shook my soul on first hearing.

Years ago I was in Chicago on business with a spare Sunday morning to kick-around prior to flying home. Colleague got some tickest to the "Gospel Brunch" at the House of Blues. We grabbed or food and sat down. An old-fashioned bunch of black blues musicians sat down at Hammond Organs etc witha 12 strong girls Gospel Chior. Within about thje first 30s of their opening song, the tears were flowing down my face, the amazing full-on raw-blues grabbed my spine and shook my soul in a way I could never have imagined. Sometimes I wonder whether the power of music... simple modulated vibrations of air proves that there really is a god... and he plays the B3 Hammond Organ...

Fab Foodie

ivancarlos said:
Were you saved?
Not sure yet... :tongue:

U

User482

Chuffy said:
Heh, I rather like the Floyd too, in all of their incarnations. The serious fans can be pretty hard going though (repeat for the heavy duty fans of pretty much any band). At the end of the day, all rock music is basically silly, for various values of 'silly'.

Yes that was my point - Floyd do seem to attract far more than their fair share of heavy duty fans.

Top Bottom