most puncture resistant tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Looking for recommendations please on what are the most puncture resistant roadie tyres, 700cx23.
have currently got conti ultra sport that came with the bike, they are nearing a year old and have had 4 punctures in the last two days. It's not a thorn stuck in or anything 'cos once i've changed it it's fine for a good few miles more. but today i cycled to lincoln from my mum's house and rear tyre flat on getting back to bike. Got out of town and was just about to go back down the nice cycle path and got another one :becool: :biggrin: and didn't have any more tubes so couldn't risk another one so had to go back on the main road, during which it held air fine, but i've come to the conclusion my tyres are a bit crap and that I could get ones that are a lot better at staving off the p fairy.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
vittoria rubinos have been all but bombproof. absolute swines to put on mind.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think all road tyres are much of a muchness when it comes to puncture resistance, unless you go for some heavyweight tourer that weighs a ton. Whatever tyre you suggest, 50% of the replies will tell you they haven't had a puncture in umpteen years and the other 50% will have been plagued with three a week when they used them.

It's all down to luck, if it's your turn in the barrell you will get shafted, if it ain't you will be ok.

domtyler

Über Member
Look at the underlying technologies, they are more or less the same from brand to brand. Each brand selling different grades of puncture resistance, i.e. an extra band of e.g. kevlar, the trade off being an increase in weight.

Tyres are only a small part of the picture though, it depends far more on riding style, the roads you ride on, where in the road you ride etc. I would advise never riding near the gutter for instance as this is always full of small sharp things.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

do they get less punccutre resistant as they wear though?, i.e. say when they've been on nearly a year

gbb

Legendary Member
bonj said:
do they get less punccutre resistant as they wear though?, i.e. say when they've been on nearly a year

I guess thats inevtable. I had Ultra Sports on my Bianchi when i first got it..punctured in the first few days. Bad luck of course, as Smokin says, when its your turn....

I use gators....some love em, some hate em. Ive had maybe 6 'p's in the last 3 years...and in my book, thats good.
Others may have more puncture resistance, but you pay with a heavier slower tyre.

Cue 'which tyre' fight..:becool::biggrin:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
bonj said:

well considering tyres wear then they will be thinner on the point of contact, hence you can guess the rest ! :tongue: Now other factors depend on how much of a lard @rse you are and at what pressure you run them at, i`m a fairly heavy guy and run my tyres at really high pressure and even then my Michelin Krylions got a puncture last week after only a months use !!

gbb

Legendary Member
monnet said:
Deda Tre Grintas. Grippy in all weather and easy to put on to boot.

For a second there monnet..i thought that was a Latin phrase
:ohmy:

domtyler

Über Member
bonj said:

Definitely. It is worth noting that all the 'guaranteed puncture free' tyres are only ever guaranteed for one year. After that, with frequent use especially, you are going to be looking at a breakdown and general wearing away of the materials that make up the tyres composition.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
No-one has yet mentioned Schwalbe Marathon 'blue wonder' tyres. Have had one on the back of my newer commuter for over two years now and is only just starting to show signs or wear, the tyre on my old bad weather bike (which I hardly ever use now) is currently awaiting me to replace it as it has has punctured despite being used much less.
Going by experience though, it really is pot luck with how long a tyre will last before it becomes 'porous'!

U

User482

I've done around 2,000 miles on Panaracer Pasela Tourguards. No punctures yet, despite a fair few glass covered cyclepaths. Specialized armadillos were also good (only one puncture I think) but they weighed a lot and didn't roll well.

I've tried a few different makes. At the moment I'm using Gators. They seem as good as any I've had, bearing in mind the cost/benefit equation, but I think a lot of it is down to luck.

Oh - and checking your tyres every so often to find and remove any flints / bits of glass that have embedded themselves and are working their way deeper into the rubber...

Top Bottom