Most recent route out of Dunkerque port to the town itself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

Kosong

just to be clear...when i come off the ferry (no matter if im first or last) i just need to go down the ramp, and stay left? do i need to turn off at any point, or is there a fork in the road/roundabout etc?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You may as well use the cycle lane on the right until just before the port fence/gates. The barriers around the security hut offer a convenient place to cross from right to left. Once outside the port fence, getting back to the roundabout would involve lifting the bike over a fence and some grass. Google satellite view now shows the current layout inside the port, as far as I can tell, unlike last year.

If you do miss the chance, a better get out of hell trick may be to turn right on the level crossing and across gravel to reach small roads in the port lands that eventually connect to the Loon Plage roundabout, but they may be full of lorries too. I've never tried that.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
Here is the route we took last week

upload_2018-6-4_22-59-24.png

If you want the full route as a print out or .gpx it's downloadable here
http://cycle.travel/map/journey/60857
(You may need to sign up, it's free)

DONOT make the error (red arrow) of going up the ramp onto the mororway, carry on around the roundabout to wehat looks like a slip road which leads to Loon Plage

upload_2018-6-4_23-4-49.png

Brains

Legendary Member
So does the cycle lane continue all the way to the red arrow now @Brains? Or does it still dump you among the lorries shortly outside the port gates?

As others have said, ideally you want to be last off the ship, not first, which is where you are usually placed.
The crew will give you a three minite head start, which is enough to clear the port gates

As you exit the port you will have the lorries thundering to your left as you go down the strait.
It's not plesant.
There is a hard sholder you can cycle on.
Just before the big roundabout (2nd one) at the there is a small break in the wooden rails
We took shelter there until all the lorries had passed

upload_2018-6-5_12-55-21.png

Reactions: mjr

Brains

Legendary Member
This is the exit you need from the big roundabout.
As you can see, it's clearly labled as the cycle route to Loon Plage which is where the cycle routes for all directions start

upload_2018-6-5_13-5-34.png

This is the exit AFTER the one all the lorries will be taking, so it means you will be crossing their path.
The drivers of all vehicles have been cooped up on board for the last few hours, so all all firing up the deisel for a long motorway run.

Quite frankly, although it's a big roundabout, it may be less stressful if you walk around

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've not tried it, but this could be an option, after the second roundabout it would be traffic free.

View attachment 412717
Yes, that's the way we went this year, although we turned left to join the cycleway alongside the D601 instead of heading right to Loon Plage. It's not completely quiet until the right turn after the roundabouts, but there's much less traffic than the motorway feeder, plus it's a dual carriageway (and 30mph I think) between the two port roundabouts.

On the way back in, if you enter with the lorries to avoid pulling out to the left lane to the southern roundabout, it is possible to turn left before the dividing wall and get to the non lorry check in.

Top Bottom