Most recent route out of Dunkerque port to the town itself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kosong

Hi all, has anyone cycled off a ferry in Dunkerque port towards Belgium recently? And if so, do you have any updates on routes to take if I'm heading towards Dunkerque town and onwards to Belgium? I've been searching different threads and it seems they are updating a lot of the roads and cycleways there so wondered if theres a more up to date info on this. Im not going to be cycling over until mid July so hoping someone heads over there before then and can let me know what the routes are like. I've driven it many a time in my van but never cycled it, neither have i ever been down the grande-synthe road (usually on the A16!) so no idea what cycling conditions are like etc.

will be on a fully loaded touring bike going quite slow, so would prefer quieter roads where possible, or ideally a cycle path/lane :biggrin:

Heigue'r

Veteran
A few of the guys from the commute went last week,they cycled from Dunkerque to the hook of holland,If I bump into one of them Ill see if they have a gpx/route file..It looked amazing

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Hi @Kosong there is a dead easy, very flat and almost traffic free route or of the ferry port area and into the centre of the town, I've done it a few times.
A year or so ago we took The Fridays along it: I'll have a look for a GPX track. I'm away to Belgium early tomorrow morning so might not have time before then, remind me in a few days.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/16744826

Found it. This takes you to the ibis hotel via residential streets.
It's absolutely crucial to leave the ferry port by riding on the left hand side of the carriageway. There are two carriageways, the one on the right takes you on a segregated cycle track in which you are sheltered from the heavy lorries by a concrete barrier. Sadly, this track takes you southward and very soon you are on a narrow road with huge lorries, and deposited on a dual carriageway where you turn left, which is east.
But if you stay in the left of the carriageways leaving the port you are at a roundabout where you take the second exit and start heading slightly north. This is the route des dunes. Follow it.
I'd also suggest getting a grip, and dominating your "cyclists' fever" that makes you want to get off the boat first. If you are unfortunate enough to be ordered off by the deckies, I suggest stopping as soon as possible while inside the port (I recall a spot immediately to your right as you come off the ferry ramp). Then wait 20 minutes for the lorries to disappear. You'll then find the port is very quiet. And you can ride safely away. If you get the first roundabout wrong you'll share the road with heavy lorries: the route des dunes is almost empty.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Also, the D60 takes you into Belgium, it's flat, decent tarmac. The first town you come to in Belgium is De Panne which has a terminal for the kust tram, the longest coastal tramway in the world. It takes bikes. Should the weather be inclement you might wish to avail yourself of this. It goes to Ostend, where there is a railway station......

andrew_s

Legendary Member

I'd also suggest getting a grip, and dominating your "cyclists' fever" that makes you want to get off the boat first. If you are unfortunate enough to be ordered off by the deckies, I suggest stopping as soon as possible while inside the port (I recall a spot immediately to your right as you come off the ferry ramp). Then wait 20 minutes for the lorries to disappear. You'll then find the port is very quiet. And you can ride safely away. If you get the first roundabout wrong you'll share the road with heavy lorries: the route des dunes is almost empty.

The problem with waiting just off the boat for the traffic to disapppear is that there's an automatic gate opened by traffic detectors that don't detect bikes.
One year, we had to wait while a loiterer went to find someone to open it and let him out of the port.

If you don't want to fight your way through Dunkerque town, where signposting isn't of the best, and are going to Ypres or Bruges, turn right after 400m or so, where the green marker is on the RWGPS route, and go via Loon Plage, Broukerque, and Bergues (depending on where you want to go).
Following the coast is pretty built up and busy.

Edit:
This is my route to Ypres (suitably designed to go past a good bar just after km 50, after an early morning ferry)

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Also, the D60 takes you into Belgium, it's flat, decent tarmac. The first town you come to in Belgium is De Panne which has a terminal for the kust tram, the longest coastal tramway in the world. It takes bikes. Should the weather be inclement you might wish to avail yourself of this. It goes to Ostend, where there is a railway station......
De Panne also has a railway station…

OP
OP
K

Kosong

@mmmmartin thanks so much that's exactly the info I needed! Will get that added to my GPS route now. I'll be heading on towards Bruges after so no need to go through Dunkerque center really, but I'll likely be camping either in one of the sites on the French or Belgian coast. My ferry gets in at 5.30pm so I wont have enough time to get to Bruge...but there's loads of camping sites on that coast so as long as I clear Dunkerque and get on the coastal cycle path I'll be fine. Good to know there's train stations too - i've parked my van up in those neck of the woods many times to be shaken around in the wind so much it keeps me awake so I can't imagine that's much fun on a bike !! Will certainly not be shy of jumping a few miles on the train at this stage, it means more time to cruise around the nicer bits of the tour ;)

Will def be waiting to get off last if i can avoid it on the ferry, people can be real peanuts to cars coming off those so i can only imagine what its like on a bike. Will remember to keep left and take that first exit. is nice to know there are other options aside from that awful carriageway from the A16 down to the port. its just not a nice road, even in a van...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hi all, has anyone cycled off a ferry in Dunkerque port towards Belgium recently? And if so, do you have any updates on routes to take if I'm heading towards Dunkerque town and onwards to Belgium?
Yes, last Wednesday, returned yesterday. Most of us used http://cycle.travel/map/journey/64765 on the way out because we wanted to see some rather tired French seaside ;) A more direct route can be revealed by clicking "Get Route" (to remove the via points) but the Quai des Fleurs in Dunkirk is currently a building site but you can walk through or fairly simply reroute along busier roads.

However, unless you want to see something in Dunkerque/Dunkirk, I would suggest turning right at Petite Synthe to the Pont de Petite Synthe then heading through Uxem to Ghyvelde on quietish back roads and crossing the border on the Rue de la Frontiere to Adinkerke, at least until they finish the epic roadworks in Dunkirk in a year or so. I suspect you'll probably make up the time taken to ride 2 miles more by not having to wait at traffic lights or stand on a corner of an unfinished/unsigned junction scratching your head and trying to figure out where you're meant to go!

They are also extending the EV4 cycle track that runs alongside the railway from Dunkirk to Leffrinckoucke - it looks nearly finished as far as the Fort des Dunes, which would connect with other cycleways towards Ghyvelde. With any luck, they'll extend it to bypass the grottiest bit of the D60 and reach Zuydcoote.

Found it. This takes you to the ibis hotel via residential streets.
I don't like it. Too many big vehicles on the first bit when we did it - it may not be all the stuff off the ferry, but there's enough for the industrial zones to be unpleasant. Happily, we took the fork to the right not far from the second port roundabout where about 100m of gravel gets you onto small roads that seem mainly used by the occasional farm vehicle.

It's absolutely crucial to leave the ferry port by riding on the left hand side of the carriageway. There are two carriageways, the one on the right takes you on a segregated cycle track in which you are sheltered from the heavy lorries by a concrete barrier. Sadly, this track takes you southward and very soon you are on a narrow road with huge lorries, and deposited on a dual carriageway where you turn left, which is east.
One rider got split from our group (don't ask - this stuff happens) and took what I think is that route but most of it isn't barriered. He said the cycle lane (not track) has been extended but I'm not sure if it is or if he was actually cycling in the shoulder and, even if not, whether it went all the way to the next roundabout where you can head into Loon Plage while most traffic continues for the motorway. I can ask if anyone's considering it, but the route across the marshes is only a mile longer.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My ferry gets in at 5.30pm
Both our ferries this year and one last year were late by up to an hour. Plan for less time than scheduled, plus even less if you're going to let others off first (why? Bikes park at the front and it's not that difficult to cross to the left gate and turn left...)

Top Bottom