Most satisfying bit of bike maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I realised over the weekend that, for me, it's reassembling a cleaned, multi-piece cassette. Probably a hangover from Airfix kits or jigsaws, but it is such a simple pleasure slotting each part onto the spindle and seeing it come together as a whole.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
OCD anyone :whistle:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
A few that I enjoy and others that I don't :smile:

I Like doing hub maintenance, hubs with cones that is. Similarly I like servicing old type headsets :laugh:.

Tim Hall

Yes, getting a cup n cone bearing "just so" is nice. Advanced bike tinkerers (sadly I'm not one) presumably get the same thrill out of truing a wheel spot on.

Using Sheldon's "nut and bolt" method of getting a stuck BB cup out was really good the first time I did it, but its marvel fades a little with use.

Crankarm

Guru
Tweaking the nipples so the spokes sing at the same pitch.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Full service on an air sprung fork. A couple of hours' worth of man cave activity involving spanners, dental picks, oils, syringes, valve tools, grease and o rings. Not to mention lashings of Isopropyl alcohol. The satisfaction of feeling them back to wheeze-free plushness cannot be beaten.

yello

I find wrapping bar tape to be in equal measure frustrating and enjoyable. It's immensely satisfying IF you manage to get a finish you're happy with.

Rear mech adjustment is a job I enjoy too, for some odd reason.

shortone

The greatness of seeing a fully cleaned and serviced bike that you did yourself.
Once a week my bike gets a full clean and degrease, tweak here and there, bit of grease where required.
Clean OCD check, gear adjustment so it changes as sweet as, OCD check, and any other obsessive bike cleaning/maintenance you can think of.
Need to learn how to true wheels though as this is the one thing I will not attempt.
Keep thinking I will mess a good wheel up if I start messing with it.

Garethgas

For me, it's truing a wheel.
I can happily spend hours doing it and I find it very therapeutic. However, the more true they are, the less chance there is of them going out so I don't do it as often as I'd like.
Oh, and cleaning the chain.

Top Bottom