Most satisfying bit of bike maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
For me, it's truing a wheel.
I can happily spend hours doing it and I find it very therapeutic. However, the more true they are, the less chance there is of them going out so I don't do it as often as I'd like.
Oh, and cleaning the chain.
It's being 2 years since I last trued a wheel for myself and since I started building wheels for other people I cannot think of it as bike maintenance. I do get the same therapeutic feeling though.
Adjusting a front derailleur has the opposite effect on me :smile:

yello

I so rarely true wheels (because I don't need to!) that I don't think of it as a regular maintenance task.

I like building wheels though it takes me days (in elapsed time). I'd like to do it more often but there's only so many new wheels that you need!

MisterStan

Label Required
Putting a new press fit BB on the best bike - a simple job really, but I paid for it to be done last time, so it's satisfying to be able to say 'I did that' - also saved me £15!

GilesM

Legendary Member
I think it's when you get something stuck, unstuck. Recently replaced the pedals on a friends bike, they were very stuck, chainset off, in the vice, lots of penetrating oil, allen key socket, big breaker bar, lovely feeling when it finally moved. Might have been my OCD, but once the chainset was off, it had to be cleaned.

Also finding and fixing one of those annoying creaks is always nice, lovely when you get on the back and it's all quiet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wheel building !

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cleaning and reassembling a cassette is very satisfying. So is fitting new cables and enjoying the light accurate shifting that results, as you realise how much the shifting had deteriorated.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wheel building !
Going from this....
Frame02_zps05900a92.jpg

To this.....
014800x529_zps11d6a0ea.jpg

And of course, hand building these bad boys from scratch in the process ^_^
P1020976800x600_zpsf7299a3c.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
1) patching tubes

2) lobbing the chain and cassette into the ultrasonic bath with some industrial de-greaser. Without any effort, it goes in black and comes out shiny.

Top Bottom