Most scarey thing you've ever done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Sig SilverPrinter said:
Giving birth
Interesting that the majority of responses on this thread are about physical challenges and mostly posted by men (I think!)

Having a general anaesthetic was the most scary thing I've been through, but then I've probably not undertaken any breathtakingly scary physical challenges.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing too much really.

When I was 16 and a trainee - we were sent on a number of courses, outward bound, visits to a colliery etc. We went down a large working mine, up to the coal face etc. To get about, we had to jump onto moving coal conveyors (travelling at about 15mph), and when instructed, jump off at particular exit points. We all crapped it as if we'd missed the exit, god knows where we'd end up - you certainly couldn't do it today.... (H&S)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just remembered coming down the Cheddar Gorge...signs warning cyclists not to go too fast...'sod that' muttered with all the immortality available to a 16 year old idiot, stick it in tenth and weeeee, round one bend, weeeee round the next, and so on, all fine up to the hair-pin half way down where the road suddenly doubles back on itself. No way to do anything but go straight onto and across the other side of the road, at what must have been 35, meeting nothing coming the other way by sheer dumb luck, ending up a quivering whimper on the opposite verge.

gbb

Legendary Member
Scariest thing for me was doing the fathers speach at my daughters wedding.
Christ i messed myself at the thought of doing it (i'm a quiet person by nature, something like that doesnt come naturally).
When i look at myself on the video, you'd never know. Preparation, preparation, preparation.

As always, the thought of doing something is usually worse than actually doing it.

When Mme H. F. first invited me down to her chateau. Not an acute kind of scared (like the time I dived into cover on top of a blind mortar shell) but two days travelling across England and France with severe first date nerves. What was she planning for me that involved a dinner jacket? Was it all a big hoax? Was she going to make a snuff movie? Use me as unpaid labour for a week then cast me out? By the time I got to Bordeaux I was ready to turn round and come home. I need not have worried though she was as charming as when we first met.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
[quote name='swee'pea99']Just remembered coming down the Cheddar Gorge...signs warning cyclists not to go too fast...'sod that' muttered with all the immortality available to a 16 year old idiot, stick it in tenth and weeeee, round one bend, weeeee round the next, and so on, all fine up to the hair-pin half way down where the road suddenly doubles back on itself. No way to do anything but go straight onto and across the other side of the road, at what must have been 35, meeting nothing coming the other way by sheer dumb luck, ending up a quivering whimper on the opposite verge.[/QUOTE]

I sort of did the same.
I went down without braking untill right near the end, did the hairpin aswell.
I went around(horse shoe bend? where you do the tight left and the road narrows) and ended up on the wrong side of the road, could of kept it on the right side but i let it drift over because there wasnt anything coming. Would of been bad if the bus was coming through thoughxx(

Going to Homerton Hospital for a second opinion on my painful gooley. The young Dr. copped a feel and I could tell by the look on his face that my suspicions were confirmed. He went to find a colleague who came to the same conclusion and then they both left the room. They had found lumps on both of them. I looked out of the window and realised that when I walked out of that hospital I would be a different person.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Crackle said:
Yes, I've stopped a few people doing that, surprisingly common that one. Normally they're on a top rope as well but.....

Not me - I'd just completed my first proper climb, at Beeston Tor, and was a bit excited, obviously too much to pay attention to clipping the descendeur in properly, which was stupid of me.

Turns out he'd never done any climbing or abbing before despite giving us all the spiel that he had: Wonder if he's still alive?
Bloody hell - we'd practiced with the kit at the local climbing wall before trying it out in anger...

Baggy said:
Interesting that the majority of responses on this thread are about physical challenges and mostly posted by men (I think!)
When my missus was diagnosed with cancer, I absolutely terrified, but typically found lots of stuff to do (being her advocate with the doctors, trying to keep her spirits up, sorting out what we were going to do when she couldn't see the children during radiotherapy etc) that I could kid myself that I wasn't really thinking about it.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not cycling related, but i was working in Uruguay last year, installing and commissioning some equipment.
They'd wired it in...i'm not an electrician (this is quite important to the story) but i do have a reasonable grasp of the practicalities. But i soon realised my grasp is limited when the going gets tough.
It all kept going a bit mental, a component blew on a main circuit board...and the only spare board is 6000 miles away :biggrin:
They fixed that after hours of investigation (then had to send a car 6 hours there and back to Montevideo for a component that probably cost £5), but i couldnt figure why the whole setup wouldnt work properly.
After many calls between me, my colleagues in the UK, the machinery suppliers, we began to suspect the neutral supply.
So so many tests and checks, is this wiring correct, is that correct , etc etc etc...
Trying to interpret from Spanish to English, interpret electrical drawings, trying to understand theroies that were WAY WAY above my ability, we realised they hadnt got a normal neutral on site, but had generated it from their main transformer....which was causing all the problems.

Two days of stress, headaches and a fast heartbeat...my head was virtually bursting :blush:
You cant walk away from it...you've only got so much time, tens of thousands of pounds has been invested in it (my costs alone were IRO £2500) and the next 3 months production depends on you fixing it. :ohmy:

Top Bottom