Most scarey thing you've ever done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Gendarme%2C%20Bugaboo%20Spire.jpg

Base of The Great Gendarme, Bugaboo Spire, BC

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've had to do a few very scary things in the operating theatre in the past (and will probably need to do so again in the future) but in terms of facing up to something voluntarily, I'd have to say the Cesare Piazzetta Via Ferrata in the Dolomites. Scary stuff indeed that was.

Mortiroloboy

Oh my life...I'm boring.:biggrin: I've done plenty of stoopid things that others may have considered to be scary/dangerous, But as I'm as thick as mince I probably couldn't see it at the time.

Erm, as a lad I did once try to dismantle a live anti aircraft shell that me and my mate had found in a ploughed field, obviously neither of us appreciated it was live, luckily my old man came home just in time to prevent a catastrophe, he saw me sat in the back garden with this shell trying to prise the timer/fuse off with a screwdriver.

Dad put it as far away from the house as he could.EOD were called out via the police, when they arrived they told my Mum and Dad they thought they were going to have to blow it up where it was, luckily they were able to take it away.

Oh yes, I once climbed out onto the top of my dormer window (my bedroom was in the attic of an old Victorian terraced house) which was on 4 floors, so I was pretty high up! IIRC my Mum was pretty scared when she looked up from hanging out the washing

More recently I'v disarmed a couple of people, sounds more scary/dangerous than it was (I think I talked them into submission really)

marooncat

Think for me it was white water rafting on the Zambezi. Did the one day "commercially" run route twice and then the 5 days "one end of the gorge to the other" route for charity. It was great and a real adrenaline buzz but damn scary when the raft goes over and you end up being bashed on rocks at the edge of the river!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Most exhilaratingly scary: climbing Heart of Darkness, a technically easy but very exposed route in Pembrokeshire that traverses between a roof and a sea cave.

Can't get it to link but see: http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=10120

Most scary: getting lost in a cave in Stoney Middleton. An interesting exercise in controlling panic.

Travel scary: in Nigeria, caught in traffic, surrounded by panicking desperate drivers with people banging on the sides of the car.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
[quote name='swee'pea99']Queensland Australia, heading south on the Bruce Highway, tired and not 100% with it half way across a one-lane bridge and suddenly becoming aware of the land-train coming in the opposite direction....[/QUOTE]

Queensland Australia, heading south on the James Cook Highway, watching junior getting sucked towards the wheels of a land-train every five minutes.
Stomach churning.

Aged 16, stuck in the middle of absolutely nowhere deserted dirt road Africa as night descended with the sound of a troupe of baboons getting nearer.

yenrod

Scary thing to me was approaching a t-junc - looked, no cars coming cept the right way was was sunned out: at the last second a car appeared and it was THAT CLOSE.

Yes, I was stupid not to wait as the sun was bocking that area of the road where the car was 'in' where the sun was.

Another time was for some inane reason I was going to cross a busy road without looking right but i waited and did otherwise I would have been severely injured. For some reason its sticks in my mind years later..

norfolkgrog

Doing the five sisters of kintail mountain hike, going on one part about 2 feet wide with sheer drop either side :biggrin:, I was s*** my self....
Great hike though going to do some more next year..

Top Bottom