Most scarey thing you've ever done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
User1314 said:
I went to see Cliff Richard in concert.
Did you base jump off the Cliff?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
In Iceland the main ring road is made by laying large bolders then filling in with smaller and smaller rocks then a thin layer of tamac.
Did the tour round the island and stopped to look along a ravine to a waterfall. This involved walking down a slope from the road towards the edge. When I turn round to walk back up the to the road, my feet kept sliding down. I was going two steps one and one down. I thought I was going to slide over the edge.

Nothing really, really scary. Learning to rock climb on a regular basis is about it. I've never been enamoured with heights and exposure, so doing that was a salutory lesson in controlling my fears and focusing my adrenaline into heading out to the edge of a 300ft arrete or similiar. The rewards at the end far outweighed the fears at the beginning. As I've spent a lot of time in the mountains, bad weather and poor visibility hold few fears beyond grumbling about the fact I'm going to get wet and cold.

Will1985

Über Member
Hilldodger said:
Mine was walking on stage at the Tour de France in front of a huge crowd and live media from around the world knowing that I had to be a tv presenter for 18 minutes having never done it before in my life!

I remember that Roger! I was very close to the front having been waiting all day. I think I'd have been pretty worried riding some of those bikes so close to an 8ft drop.

ChrisKH said:
Stripped a wire with my teeth, only to find it was live..........

You'd have received a Darwin award for that one!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Queensland Australia, heading south on the Bruce Highway, tired and not 100% with it half way across a one-lane bridge and suddenly becoming aware of the land-train coming in the opposite direction....

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Did you manage to pass it Louise?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Nearly stepping off a 150ft cliff with my descendeur clipped to my gear rack - gulp. Luckily a sharp eyed fellow climber spotted it and yelled "no!" before I stepped into the void with my weight supported by a bit of string that could hold 1 or 2 kilos of weight max.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
1st feefall skydive, a lot scarier than the 7 static line jumps I did before that. The other 300+ jumps I've done were not scary. 1st solo glider flight. Well scary when the instructor got out and said, 'You're on your own now' and closed the canopy. Chasing around the Isle Of Man TT circuit at 5am with about 6 other nutters. Lots more, but not as scary.

John the Monkey said:
Nearly stepping off a 150ft cliff with my descendeur clipped to my gear rack - gulp. Luckily a sharp eyed fellow climber spotted it and yelled "no!" before I stepped into the void with my weight supported by a bit of string that could hold 1 or 2 kilos of weight max.

Yes, I've stopped a few people doing that, surprisingly common that one. Normally they're on a top rope as well but.....

Did stop one guy just as he was about to abseil off Malham cove.

Me: "ermmm. I'm not sure how you've done that but I think you've got that descender clipped in upside down, it certainly doesn't look right". Him: "Wait, I'll read the instructions again...."
Me: " welllll, I think to be on the safe side, we'll just use this rig I've got here eh! Just step forward from the edge a bit while we sort you out..."

Turns out he'd never done any climbing or abbing before despite giving us all the spiel that he had: Wonder if he's still alive?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I used to canoe, and i had got a kayak to turn into a C1(rip everything out the kayak and put foam in so you can kneel) i went down Holme Peirre Pont. I was used to certain sections after paddling an open boat on them and swimming them.
Got the chance to go from the top, and i went for it. Not enough speed and the top wave being sticky ment i went through some of the wave, then got pulled back in. Surfed the wave then whilst trying to flick myself put the wave without going over, my edge dropped and i went over. Paddles went from my hands and i was stuck in the boat, spent along time upside down, getting bits of air, but mainly water from me leaning right back, untill i got my sprey deck off, then popped out the boat and got to the side.
Very scary, i was only in year 8/9 at the time.
Pretty scary that. I did re-do that section in an open boat and was fine, and did other bits in the C1 before i decided to stop, and havent been canoeing for over a year now:wacko:

Top Bottom