MOT failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@CXRAndy spending that much not to own something baffles me, and you have to keep the car pristine including the bodywork. My neighbours spend a fortune constantly fixing their lease/PCP cars.

Me? My next one will cost a maximum of £2500 and I'll aim to keep it for several years.

However, I get a decent lump sum when I retire and I'll use a bit of that to buy something special.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
@CXRAndy spending that much not to own something baffles me, and you have to keep the car pristine including the bodywork. My neighbours spend a fortune constantly fixing their lease/PCP cars.

Me? My next one will cost a maximum of £2500 and I'll aim to keep it for several years.

However, I get a decent lump sum when I retire and I'll use a bit of that to buy something special.

I don't disagree, but that's the way the car market is for new.

For you personally, its just a matter of timing to invest (cars are almost never an investment) in a nice car.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Statistically historic vehicles are far and away the safest 4 wheeled category.

Is that per year or per mile though?
I'd imagine few such vehicles drive very far.
But that said, classic car owners tend to be older, so likely to be more sensible. And there is a valid argument that better brakes and roadholding (of modern cars) are a means to drive faster at least as much as an aid to safety.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
There was also no MOT requirement in South Australia. I remember we bought a van and (being young and stupid) didn't really know what we were getting. Anyway, we intentionally drove to South Asutralia to get it registered, so no MOT. Shortly after, we got pulled over for no brake lights, but were let off with a warning. We later got pulled over for covering the Police car behind with oil from our massive oil leak (it lost 1L oil every 200miles). Then in Sydney we found that the column handbrake was pretty much non-existent, so had to ride the clutch a lot if we stopped on a hill. Looking back, it was mighty dangerous. And insurance wasn't required by law so of course we didn't have any. Luckliy the had gasket went after 9 months and we scrapped the thing

DCLane

@CXRAndy I'll have the time when I retire to find something, and it'll be a petrol 4-seat automatic convertible (Jag/Aston/Maserati) depending on how big the lump sum is.

Oh, and I'll probably get a 'retirement' bike :okay:

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
. Commutes to work: 1169 saving £11690 in fuel and parking.

If you go anywhere in any of those that £11690 saved will be gone in no time + huge repair bills. Inlaw worked on jags/Astons most oh his career, the stories of unreliability and costs would make anyone turn to cycling ;)

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
My point was also that it's MOT checked, and wasn't picked up on the previous test - if it had been it would have been a Major Fault & caused a Fail, which led me, Clouseau-like to believe it hadn't been detectable.

Nobody in their right mind relies on dual-circuit braking, but it's there for instances just like this.
The key point that has been missed is that there is usually a visual check of brake pipes and flexible hoses before the brake roller test
My car has failed it’s MOT two years on the bounce after 7yrs of clear passes :whistle: . Age related failures , brake pipes and bushes . £400 last year , looking like £600 this year to fix the failures :ohmy: .
Time to replace with a BEV :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
. Commutes to work: 1169 saving £11690 in fuel and parking.

If you go anywhere in any of those that £11690 saved will be gone in no time + huge repair bills. Inlaw worked on jags/Astons most oh his career, the stories of unreliability and costs would make anyone turn to cycling ;)
When my Dad retired a few years back he looked at buying a new Aston Martin, but after having done some research the horror stories put him off so he bought a plane instead to play with. He reckons the plane is cheaper to maintain...and I suspect he is only half joking!

Is driving much of a fun thing to do now ?

If it's a nice day for a drive I'd be thinking it's an even better day for a bike ride.

Cycle 60 miles for cake ? Lovely.
Drive that distance to the cafe ? No that's mad.

I'll not be buying a flash motor for retirement.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The key point that has been missed is that there is usually a visual check of brake pipes and flexible hoses before the brake roller test
Which reinforces the point that it was something that wasn't detectable in advance.

BTW, the test bay config at my preferred (Local Authority) Test Centre means that the RR test always precedes the ramp, at least in my experience of quite a few tests there.

DCLane

When my Dad retired a few years back he looked at buying a new Aston Martin, but after having done some research the horror stories put him off so he bought a plane instead to play with. He reckons the plane is cheaper to maintain...and I suspect he is only half joking!

The idea of massive running costs whilst being a 'young' pensioner is a concern. Decades of budget motoring won't help that perspective either.

Top Bottom