MOT question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Do have this right.

If I get my car MOTd at a decent garage does the information go instantly to the DVLA ?
Reason being.....car is booked in for MOT on Tuesday.....the day my tax is due.
Assuming it passes I need to go straight to the post office and pay the tax.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It should be instant but may be an overnight feed.

You know you can do the tax online?
However if using PO you'll have your MOT print in your hand anyway?

You also have a grace period before you'd get nicked for driving with no tax.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It should be instant but may be an overnight feed.

You know you can do the tax online?
However if using PO you'll have your MOT print in your hand anyway?

You also have a grace period before you'd get nicked for driving with no tax.

Thanks.
I went to the PO to tax it only to find the mot had run out.... silly me.

DRM

Guru
Get the MOT done and do the VED online in the evening. It’s very easy, you should have received a letter with a reference code
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

^^^ This, it’s dead easy, also put a label in the car with the MOT expiry date

gbb

Legendary Member
While I sympathise, I'd be pretty sure a 'grace period' is something from the past which no longer applies. AFAIK, its plain illegal to drive with no MOT. Thats if an official grace period ever did exist. Coppers of old might have unofficially applied a little leeway dependent on circumstances and the individual.
all just my opinion but personally, I wouldn't risk it nowadays, barring taking the car to a pre booked garage for its MOT.

vickster

Legendary Member
While I sympathise, I'd be pretty sure a 'grace period' is something from the past which no longer applies. AFAIK, its plain illegal to drive with no MOT. Thats if an official grace period ever did exist. Coppers of old might have unofficially applied a little leeway dependent on circumstances and the individual.
all just my opinion but personally, I wouldn't risk it nowadays, barring taking the car to a pre booked garage for its MOT.

This appears to be so
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

You cannot drive or park your vehicle on the road if the MOT has run out. You can be prosecuted if caught.
The only exceptions are to drive it:
  • to or from somewhere to be repaired
  • to a pre-arranged MOT test

so @Dave7 don't drive it before taking for MOT on Tuesday and make sure it’s off road.

Quite often see cars with a yellow DVLA clamp, don’t know if for expired MOT/tax or both

DRM

Guru
Do have this right.

If I get my car MOTd at a decent garage does the information go instantly to the DVLA ?
Reason being.....car is booked in for MOT on Tuesday.....the day my tax is due.
Assuming it passes I need to go straight to the post office and pay the tax.

If it's a decent garage would they pick your car up, take it for the MOT on trade plates, then when they tell you it's passed, go online to tax it, then you're covered to drive it home

Top Bottom