MOT question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
This appears to be so
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

You cannot drive or park your vehicle on the road if the MOT has run out. You can be prosecuted if caught.
The only exceptions are to drive it:
  • to or from somewhere to be repaired
  • to a pre-arranged MOT test

so @Dave7 don't drive it before taking for MOT on Tuesday and make sure it’s off road.

Quite often see cars with a yellow DVLA clamp, don’t know if for expired MOT/tax or both

Yep......its in the garage.
The MOT is prebooked.

It should be instant but may be an overnight feed.

You know you can do the tax online?
However if using PO you'll have your MOT print in your hand anyway?

You also have a grace period before you'd get nicked for driving with no tax.

It's instant because I didn't have to call my garage to see how the MOT was getting on - I checked online and the data was there.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Look out dave, the rossers are coming for your untaxed car and dodgy firestick……life for you my friend.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
More importantly when does your current MOT expire?
No one leaves the test until the very last day do they? :smile:

Definitely test in the month before your MOT runs out.
You don't even have to show your old MOT certificate any more to get those days/weeks added back on to the new certificate.

Reactions: DRM

Jameshow

Veteran
My van failed it's MOT and the garage let me take it home as he doesn't like leaving vehicles outside. I did a mornings work before dropping it back for a abs sensor to be fitted!🤔🤔🤔

The senior or something else has since failed!🤣

CXRAndy

Guru
My van failed it's MOT and the garage let me take it home as he doesn't like leaving vehicles outside. I did a mornings work before dropping it back for a abs sensor to be fitted!🤔🤔🤔

The senior or something else has since failed!🤣

If you have your MOT a month before the date, even if it fails it still got a valid MOT. Take it away fix it and rebook

sleuthey

Legendary Member
3 years ago I had one where it appeared online BEFORE I had the phone call from the garage saying it was ready to collect. They have limited parking so don't like cars hanging around. Thus should be almost instant.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Its instant as is all the relevant info. Tax, insurance and MOT. Everything is online now and it's the way the police know all of that if they stop you.

Broadside

Guru
No MOT, your insurance is invalid..

I used to think that was the case but insurance policies usually state it must be in roadworthy condition but IME do not specify a need for an MOT, my policies don’t.

It’s clearly an obvious way for an insurance company to dodge a bill but I certainly know of people who have had a full payout with an expired MOT but the car was in roadworthy condition.

Top Bottom