Motivate me please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Finnjävel

One way of going about this kind of changes to one's lifestyle is to fake it until you make it. Want to be a fit person? Imitate one. Do what they do: ride the bike a lot, eat like a fit person would eat and if it floats your boat, buy cycling specific clothes. Pretty soon you're a lot fitter than now, and after a while you can be a lot fitter than you ever thought possible.

Liamjc90

One way of going about this kind of changes to one's lifestyle is to fake it until you make it. Want to be a fit person? Imitate one. Do what they do: ride the bike a lot, eat like a fit person would eat and if it floats your boat, buy cycling specific clothes. Pretty soon you're a lot fitter than now, and after a while you can be a lot fitter than you ever thought possible.

I like this theory a lot, apart from the eat like a fit person bit don't think i"ll ever eat salads.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Keep up the good work Mr Greatexample. I was nudging 14 stone before the summer, I'm now just a pound or so over 13 stone just by commuting and getting out for some fun 20-milers.

Had to punch some new holes in my belts !

OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

I do like this attitude. :thumbsup:

I actually do eat pretty healthily. I've pretty much turned my garden into an allotment, so plenty of fresh vegetables. I cook a lot from scratch, and rarely eat takeaways or pre-packed processed rubbish. However, this just means that what I'm eating is usually really tasty, so yes please I'll just have a second helping...and a nice slice of home made cake to follow. :hungry:

Widge

Baldy Go
'Fake it 'til you make it......'

I like this philosophy a lot!

Why this didn't occur to me 35 years ago I have no idea! But...looking back.....I suppose I mostly did this with my life anyway!^_^

Anyhoo....as advise to a new 'Cyclist' it is perfect and will serve well to motivate me...especially as I now (thanks 'Aldi and Triban') have plenty of looky-likey-fakey kit...........?

Best

w

simon.r

Person
Ahh, I see. I normally wear jeans, which just get soggy and horrible. :laugh:

Jeans are bad news in the rain. Bare legs or tights are the way to go. If you can't quite get your head around wearing tights yet, then walking type trousers (e.g. Craghoppers / Regatta) are much better than jeans, or Ron Hill Bikesters are pretty good if you can just about cope with something cycling specific but don't want the full on contour hugging lycra look...yet:smile:

OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

A fraction shy of nine miles this morning, dropping a birthday card round to my mate, and a cheque to the bank. Felt quite safe leaving my bike in Walsall for a change, as it's full of Old Bill this morning. Something to do with the EDL I think. Even the market's been cancelled. :thumbsdown:

Lovely day, albeit a teeny bit windy. Reached a new maximum speed of 61.1mph*, which was exciting:

DSCF4664.jpg

*Obviously complete cobblers. I didn't quite manage to get to 26mph, so there's obviously something wrong with me thingy. :headshake:

RWright

Guru
Lovely day, albeit a teeny bit windy. Reached a new maximum speed of 61.1mph*, which was exciting:

DSCF4664.jpg

I bet it was :eek:

OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

This Cycling Log thingy's a great little motivator in itself. When I logged in today I saw a little red arrow denoting that I'd gone down a place in the rankings. :cursing:

So I've been our for a spin. Along Walstead road to Rushall Canal, along as far as the Tame Valley Canal, and along as far as the College Road Bridge. This is the first part of the route I may take to Erdington when I pop over and see a mate.

The Tame Valley towpath was a bit nasty. Narrow, and slippery as hell. I managed most of it in a pretty low gear but a fairly steady rhythm, at around 7-8 mph. Put a foot down on a fair few occasions, and had plenty of dicey moments. There is a concrete path but it's so overgrown that you can't quite ride on it. It was mostly downhill so not too bad effort-wise. Getting towards the College Road end there was a series of locks and some pretty steep bits down the path.

I had a bit of a rest at College Road, mainly while I decided whether to go back along the road or the canal. In the end I plumped for the road, even though it was rush hour. Mainly because the traction on the towpath was poor, and I knew I'd struggle getting back up the steep bits. At least the road was dry. Mostly bus and cycle lanes too so not so bad, and the height gain was a nice gradual ascent (A34 towards Scott Arms, for those that know it) rather than several short savage bursts on a poor surface.

I think it would be nice in the summer. :rolleyes:

My longest ride yet, 14.25 miles. Now I have to go another 6 (each way) to my girlfriend's house to get my dinner. That should get my place back in the rankings. :laugh:

Top Bottom