Motivate me please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

Feeling quite pleased today. I knocked off work nice and early, thinking "I might nip out on the bike this afternoon." Then it rained.

Rules #5 and #9 obviously applied, so I went out anyway. I decided to repeat the run to Pelsall where I play darts. As it was daylight, I managed not to go the wrong way. This was pleasing. Another couple of runs and I might remember the route. :rolleyes:

I forgot to reset the trip meter, so I've had to guess a little bit. I reckon about 11 miles at around 12mph. Not only that, when I got there I didn't stop and rest while I threw arrows. I turned straight round and came home. So 11 miles without stopping, in the rain. I actually began to enjoy the rain, even though it renders spectacles almost entirely useless. It prevented me from overheating, and meant I was a badass. :ninja:

I've decided that there's not actually that much wrong with my engine. Sure, it's been rusting in a scrapyard for twenty years or more, but it still runs. It needs an oil change and a bit of a tune up, but apart from that it's not too bad. I've not yet had to stop on a hill, and I've still got lower gears to use in case things get really tough.

My problem is the air intake system. I stopped smoking in January after about 25 years. My lungs hurt. My chest hurts. My heart hurts. I can utterly exhaust myself in about 30 seconds if I really go for it. As long as I plod along steadily, I can cope, but by the time I get to the top of some of the lumpy bits I'm dying. I sure hope that'll get better, and soon. :unsure:

I tried to do a bit standing on the pedals, too. Still not easy, but I must have managed a metre or two before control became an issue and I had to drop back into the saddle. I think the different weight distribution has a lot to do with it.

Not a bad start to week #2. :biggrin:

Nigel have you really done 1594 miles since the end of June? :eek:
Yea he's one of the staff members, he put me right when I did it.
And yea I have done that far, just tipped the 1600 this morning, but I do have quite a bit of spare time. Aim to do 3000 by the end of the year ( I am on target)
It gets easier, hills do get easier, if you want to keep hurting they get quicker. Well done on getting out in the rain, know what you mean about glasses, the rains fine once you have got some distance because you get warm, a bit like an engine. My two trips this morning were both 5 miles so barely got warm, but a bit of traffic so I was slower this morning. I am going out for a 20 mile run if the OH dont moan.

RWright

Guru
Feeling quite pleased today. I knocked off work nice and early, thinking "I might nip out on the bike this afternoon." Then it rained.

Rules #5 and #9 obviously applied, so I went out anyway. I decided to repeat the run to Pelsall where I play darts. As it was daylight, I managed not to go the wrong way. This was pleasing. Another couple of runs and I might remember the route. :rolleyes:

I forgot to reset the trip meter, so I've had to guess a little bit. I reckon about 11 miles at around 12mph. Not only that, when I got there I didn't stop and rest while I threw arrows. I turned straight round and came home. So 11 miles without stopping, in the rain. I actually began to enjoy the rain, even though it renders spectacles almost entirely useless. It prevented me from overheating, and meant I was a badass. :ninja:

I've decided that there's not actually that much wrong with my engine. Sure, it's been rusting in a scrapyard for twenty years or more, but it still runs. It needs an oil change and a bit of a tune up, but apart from that it's not too bad. I've not yet had to stop on a hill, and I've still got lower gears to use in case things get really tough.

My problem is the air intake system. I stopped smoking in January after about 25 years. My lungs hurt. My chest hurts. My heart hurts. I can utterly exhaust myself in about 30 seconds if I really go for it. As long as I plod along steadily, I can cope, but by the time I get to the top of some of the lumpy bits I'm dying. I sure hope that'll get better, and soon. :unsure:

I tried to do a bit standing on the pedals, too. Still not easy, but I must have managed a metre or two before control became an issue and I had to drop back into the saddle. I think the different weight distribution has a lot to do with it.

Not a bad start to week #2. :biggrin:

You are a badass:thumbsup: I also found I sort of like riding in the rain as well..when it is not too cold anyway. I rode yesterday evening and when I got home my trip meter said 8 miles and I know I had done 16 because I ride the route a lot, still havent figured that out, I never noticed my speedometer not working but it was dark for some of the ride.

The rest of your post could have been written about me. I quit smoking cigarettes after having smoked for a long time...I still use electronic cigarettes and hope to eventually get off them. I am working through all the same issues you mentioned and have been riding long enough now that I am starting to notice I am getting stronger, losing weight and feeling better. The hills can still be tough but not as bad, standing still does not feel comfortable to me but I am doing it a little more often and attacking the hill rather than spinning them, just for quick burst. I can exhaust myself quickly as well if I am not careful. I just do it for short periods.

I started doing a few push ups every day and this weekend I am going to start doing a few sit ups as well, not a lot, just enough to start waking those muscles up. I think it will eventually make me more comfortable on the bike. I did not get in the bad shape overnight and I don't expect to get into good shape overnight either. Just allow yourself to maybe use an easier route on the days you don't feel as strong. I think keeping at it is the key.

OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

12 miles today. :bicycle:

I need to meet my mate tomorrow night about 4.5 miles away, so thought I'd recce the route or I'll be late. Part of the route was along a towpath which, after this morning's rain, was more like cycling in the canal than alongside it. One bit of road was flooded too, at least a third of the depth of the wheel. I went through it a bit warily, as you can't see if there's a pothole at the bottom waiting to tip you off. :unsure:

On the way back I was about to leave the towpath when I saw a sign indicating that it went to Walsall Wharf, so I thought I'd add a bit extra and go the long way home. Narrowly avoided falling off after I went up the edge of the towpath (wooden edging, very wet) trying to avoid the puddles a bit. The front wheel went up, the rear wheel didn't and I had a little speedway-style moment. :ohmy: However, I kept it upright and made it safely home. I'd done 11.2 miles so I rode round the estate until I got to 12.

Really didn't want to go out after the rain this morning, but enjoyed the ride. I averaged 11mph which is up a little, despite two stops to check the SatNav when I went a bit wrong. So I must be going faster! It was a pretty flat route though - no real lumps to contend with.

I did nothing at the weekend. Busy all day Saturday, then a curry in the evening with a few friends to celebrate my birthday (tomorrow). Didn't get to bed until 4am so needless to say I wasn't good for much on Sunday. :blush:

OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

My usual commute takes me along the Rushall Canal then onto the Tame valley canal, but not today after so much rain, just too risky.

But you've got a mountain bike, right? How bad can it be? The towpaths are a bit rough, but I like cycling along the canals. Rather them than playing with the traffic, anyway. ;)

OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

I think I should be in here, as I am in need of motivation as well. :sad:

Well, I'll motivate you, if you'll motivate me!

Get out there now you lazy idle oik! :gun:

OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

Having said that, I really can't see me going out on the bike later. It's slinging it down, and forecast to get much, much worse at exactly the time I need to be out. :rain:

I've done 5.5 miles today popping out to get a haircut, so I reserve the right to use the car tonight. :blush: Only coz it's my birthday, you understand? :dance:

But you've got a mountain bike, right? How bad can it be? The towpaths are a bit rough, but I like cycling along the canals. Rather them than playing with the traffic, anyway. ;)
That's right MBE, i've got an MTB ^_^ still very dodgy on mostly unsurfaced towpath between Walsall and West Brom. What's it like on the Hybrid in the drier weather?

Top Bottom