Motivate me please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Hmmm...I'm still struggling here. The wheel I have been supplied is narrower than the last one, so the brake blocks don't reach the rim. I can't work out how to adjust them - as far as I can see even with the maximum travel they don't reach. What am I missing here? :scratch:

Take a picture and perhaps post in the Technical forum, you may get more joy. It could be a simple case of tightening the cable...?

Also, what are the rims and brakes you were, and are currently, using?
 

Dismount

Guru
Location
Yorkshire
I have read some great posts on here, I am now very motivated to get on my bike. I find it difficult to motivate myself when I look outside and it is dark and drab the sofa always looks much more welcoming. I have gone out a couple of weekends, I find that when I am on the bike, why I was not motivated in the first instance I love to be out on the bike!
 

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Hmmm...I'm still struggling here. The wheel I have been supplied is narrower than the last one, so the brake blocks don't reach the rim. I can't work out how to adjust them - as far as I can see even with the maximum travel they don't reach. What am I missing here? :scratch:
There shouldn't be very much difference between rim widths, 13mm narrow, (15mm), & 17/19mm normal/hybrid.
Therefore, I suggest you look carefully at where the cable meets the lever & adjuster, &/or where the other end joins the brake assembly, if by chance there is a quick release, make sure it is set closed not open.
Those are the only differences, one of them will be the problem; unless you undid the clamp that holds the brake cable inner, in that case you will have to re adjust.
 
OP
OP
mrbadexample
Location
Walsall
I am still bikeless. :sad:

After the snow cleared, I took the bike back to the shop for them to adjust the brakes: "You've got the wrong wheel on here mate."

I knew that. I told them that as soon as I first laid eyes on it. :banghead:
 
OP
OP
mrbadexample
Location
Walsall
Well, even though they got it wrong, I CANNOT fault the Specialized customer service. :thumbsup:

They've phoned this afternoon: "I'm sorry sir, we're having trouble getting hold of the right wheel. What we'll do is buy a pair and replace both so that they match. No charge to yourself, of course."

Bloody hell, I never expected that. :bravo:
 

BSRU

A Human Being
Location
Swindon
I am also waiting for good weather, snow gave way to strong winds and rain, I guess I am not a hardcore cyclist, cycling in strong winds I don't find fun.
I'm not hardcore just stubborn:tongue:
 

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
That's my way of saying "I'm not going out until March". ^_^
(Unless sun &/or warmth returns before then, I must favour my knee still.)
It'll just have to be the turbo to loosen up until then.
 

Nigelnaturist

Legendary Member
Location
Pontefract
I have a problem with my knee, it only effects me when I pedal, it sometimes gives me a sharp pain, it usually goes if I ease back a bit, though I always have a pain in the lower right thigh (front), that just aches all the time when on the bike.
 
OP
OP
mrbadexample
Location
Walsall
Well pleased with the new wheels:

DSCF4915_zps73ed03d2.jpg


Nice black finish - suits the bike I think. Specialized deserve a big thanks for getting me back on the road - I've just done a quick 5 mile "tester" to get a haircut. Loved being back in the saddle. :bicycle:

DaveyM, I see you've done 28 miles to establish a little cushion before kindly waiting for me. Thanks for that, you can crack on now. ;)
 

DaveyM

Guru
Location
Northumberland
Well pleased with the new wheels:

DSCF4915_zps73ed03d2.jpg


Nice black finish - suits the bike I think. Specialized deserve a big thanks for getting me back on the road - I've just done a quick 5 mile "tester" to get a haircut. Loved being back in the saddle. :bicycle:

DaveyM, I see you've done 28 miles to establish a little cushion before kindly waiting for me. Thanks for that, you can crack on now. ;)

I have also been off the bike partly due to bad weather and partly due to being lazy glad to see you have wheels again.
 
Top Bottom