Motivation for commuting in the winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The traffic and parking situation keeps me going. It can take 40 minutes just to get offsite in a car, and another 20 minutes to get home. I can ride it in 14 minutes.

Mike_P

Guru
Mine is that my short commute by bike is often quicker than sitting in a queue of traffic waiting for traffic lights to change, and change back, and change...The cycle route thankfully bypasses them. Just before Christmas I did use the car due to the severe frost and that had affected the sensors on the lights such that it took 15mins to do half a mile.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
For me personally. Commuting by bike has always been about freedom. I dont drive and sitting through 45-60mins of people sneezing and coughing on public transport when the same trip takes 27 mins on a good day by bicycle doesnt sound quite appealing to me.

I dont care if its cold, I dont care if its raining. So long as im prepared for it. I dont care... If im out in my summer kit and get caught in a torrential downpour then of course id be pissed as hell... Ive cycled home in many torrential downpours but ive always been prepared.

Theres also the fitness aspect of it. There are sections of my route where there are a few miles of long straight roads so i get down low and just bomb it through to see how fast i can go in various states of tiredness. but im not a fast rider by any standard :laugh::laugh: (23-25mph but its not something that i can sustain for long)

Then theres the cold damp air whistling past my face and ears. The dark starts and finishes and how the environment around you changes when it comes to nightfall.

Its therapy for me. :okay::okay:

rivers

How far can I go?
Cycling is the quickest mode of transport for me (even the long way in) compared to bus and car (unless I leave my house before 7am. I don't start until 9). I enjoy my summer commute more than my winter one, but at the end of it all, I'm in a much better mood if I've cycled in. Plus, the wife and I share a car, and she needs it more than I do.

Slick

Guru
Thanks for all the replies... I did it! Finally got myself out cycling to work, and must admit it was a pleasure ONCE I got out! Lol but now I have a ride back home, hoping I have the energy for it
It's amazing where you find energy when there is no other alternative. :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The traffic and parking situation keeps me going. It can take 40 minutes just to get offsite in a car, and another 20 minutes to get home. I can ride it in 14 minutes.
similar
on day shift it can take 20 mins to get to the exit and another 20 + to get home.
On the bike it takes about 35-37 mins to ride home so the only difference is the time it takes to get changed and get the bike out .

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
For me it's all about habit - I simply cycle every day regardless of weather and that makes it easy; I suspect that if I aimed to cycle three times a week I'd probably actually do it about once a week.

Another thing that helps me is having a fitness objective- if I'm aiming to complete say a 100 mile hilly sportive in the summer, the fear of losing fitness keeps me going.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
OK, a few tips from another West Midlander who rides through the winter. The cold season does seem to drag on, and hopefully some of these useful or otherwise tips might help:
Category 1: Feel Good Tips:
1) Put an extra pair of slight socks and your gloves on the radiator overnight. Just before you leave, put the socks over your normal socks (trainer socks are great for this) and your gloves on, and you will get the same warm glow as your heated car seat.
2) Treat yourself to a warm mug of tea / coffee / hot chocolote when you get into the office. Obviously if you drove, you couldn't justify the extra calories from the hot chocoloate, and wouldn't feel the benefit of it anyway.
3) On a bad day, don't be frightened of adding an extra layer and feeling toasty when you leave the house. Even if you arrive at work a bit sweaty or have to stop and remove a layer half-way there.

Category 2: Positive Experience:
4) Look for signs of spring, e.g. snowdrops, crocuses, then later daffodils and buds on the tree. Although it won't be getting any warmer, the sights of nature welcoming in the new year will chear you up.
5) Listen for the sound of people scraping ice off the car on frosty mornings. Remind yourself that you don't need to be up any earlier, as you don't need to scrape any ice off anything.
6) Everyone else is thinking the same, so the traffic is worse in winter.
7) More chance of car not starting, e.g. due to worn-out battery.

Category 3: HTFU:
8) It gets warmer only very gradually, and in fits and starts. If you wait until it gets warmer, it will suddenly be too warm, and you have missed your opportunity.
9) Book yourself onto an early year Audax or Sportive, e.g. Sunrise/Sunset or Mad March Hare. Then you will have to keep cycling to get ready for the event.
10) Walk around the office feeling smug that you are hard enough to withstand the cold of winter, whereas those who drove in aren't.
11) Prove to yourself how hardy you are by surviving the worst that the UK weather can throw at you.

and, lastly:
12) If you check out your household appliances, you will see that those used for heating (fan heater, kettle) use far more power than all the others. Hence it takes much more energy to keep warm rather than moving around. Hence if you want to loose weight, it is much more efficient to do so in winter when your body is trying to keep warm as well as cycling, than in the summer when it isn't. After all, don't you have some over-eating and rich food from Christmas to burn off?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The current weather is mild for the time of year, so one shouldn't miss the heated seats of the car.

However, any time I drive I'm reminded why I cycle. With schools starting the new term and most people back at work, there were very long traffic queues this morning. I whizzed past several miles of stationery traffic and had a smug glow on me face when I arrived at work.

OP
OP
I

ishaqmir

OK, a few tips from another West Midlander who rides through the winter. The cold season does seem to drag on, and hopefully some of these useful or otherwise tips might help:
Category 1: Feel Good Tips:
1) Put an extra pair of slight socks and your gloves on the radiator overnight. Just before you leave, put the socks over your normal socks (trainer socks are great for this) and your gloves on, and you will get the same warm glow as your heated car seat.
2) Treat yourself to a warm mug of tea / coffee / hot chocolote when you get into the office. Obviously if you drove, you couldn't justify the extra calories from the hot chocoloate, and wouldn't feel the benefit of it anyway.
3) On a bad day, don't be frightened of adding an extra layer and feeling toasty when you leave the house. Even if you arrive at work a bit sweaty or have to stop and remove a layer half-way there.

Category 2: Positive Experience:
4) Look for signs of spring, e.g. snowdrops, crocuses, then later daffodils and buds on the tree. Although it won't be getting any warmer, the sights of nature welcoming in the new year will chear you up.
5) Listen for the sound of people scraping ice off the car on frosty mornings. Remind yourself that you don't need to be up any earlier, as you don't need to scrape any ice off anything.
6) Everyone else is thinking the same, so the traffic is worse in winter.
7) More chance of car not starting, e.g. due to worn-out battery.

Category 3: HTFU:
8) It gets warmer only very gradually, and in fits and starts. If you wait until it gets warmer, it will suddenly be too warm, and you have missed your opportunity.
9) Book yourself onto an early year Audax or Sportive, e.g. Sunrise/Sunset or Mad March Hare. Then you will have to keep cycling to get ready for the event.
10) Walk around the office feeling smug that you are hard enough to withstand the cold of winter, whereas those who drove in aren't.
11) Prove to yourself how hardy you are by surviving the worst that the UK weather can throw at you.

and, lastly:
12) If you check out your household appliances, you will see that those used for heating (fan heater, kettle) use far more power than all the others. Hence it takes much more energy to keep warm rather than moving around. Hence if you want to loose weight, it is much more efficient to do so in winter when your body is trying to keep warm as well as cycling, than in the summer when it isn't. After all, don't you have some over-eating and rich food from Christmas to burn off?

nice to hear from a brummy! I’m also born bred brummy, but been living in Solihull for over 10 years, still very much connected with brum though.

that was very good advice above, and thanks to everyone else too. I actually enjoyed the night ride back from work in the evening, especially the pitch black country lanes, had a 1300 lumen light on bike, and another 1300 on my helmet, was a beauty!

I used to ride a big U shaped hill, downhill to start then a big uphill when I was warmed up. I figured that wearing insulation over my windproof layer would make for a quicker undress before the hill.
The best form of insulation seemed to be an insulated sleeveless gillet, not too thick.

Top Bottom