Motivation in the chill!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ - I'm considering a 10k mileage target for next year as I add in the PBP qualifying events, although I'm not planning the PBP as a ride at the moment.

If you fancy joining me for the 200, 300, 400 and 600k rides you're welcome :thumbsup: . The first is the North-West Passage 200k in February.
Thanks for the offer, but it is probably a year early for me ... I was thinking of doing a one-off SR series in 2016 to coincide with my 60th birthday - my first 600 (60x10) km ride at 60, that would be good!

I rode the full NWP in 2006. Trouble is, not being quick enough meant doing the last few hours in the cold and dark. I know that the route is chosen to be most likely to be ice-free at that time of year, but I don't like the main-road nature of it.

Oh, we have wandered off @Mrs M's topic! So, how CAN we motivate her to go cycling on chilly weekend mornings? :whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
To change Kate Moss saying slightly, nothing feels as good as being fit.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
hardcore women, we need more like you! :tongue:
still in short sleeve cycling jersey and cycling shorts when it is dry or long sleeve base layers top and bottom under cycling shorts and short sleeve jersey if it raining
then again i am down in the sheltered south east
Cheers Ed
6 degrees just now on my return commute at 3 am :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The worst part is laying in bed and listening to the wind blowing in the trees and the sound of rainfall.

When you actually get up and get out of the door it is not as bad as it sounds from in your bed. 10 minutes after setting off you are into the ride and nice and warm, if you have the right gear.

Bright Winter mornings are the best time of the year to ride. Especially when you get home for fresh bread and stew. I cant wait.

IMG_1201.jpg

clid61

Veteran
Love the crisp cold days , as everyone else, get the layers right and its bliss . Friday mornings commute was really good as it was very light drizzle which kept me cool , I love riding in rain for some reason ?!

screenman

Legendary Member
Same here. Fewer numpties (or whatever else you want to call them) trying to ride bikes in the warmer months.

Have you thought about offering these people some of your vast experience. Organise rides with tuition that sort of thing.

young Ed

Veteran
Love the crisp cold days , as everyone else, get the layers right and its bliss . Friday mornings commute was really good as it was very light drizzle which kept me cool , I love riding in rain for some reason ?!
i don't like riding in the rain, it gets my pride and joy wet :sad:
don't care about my self though :tongue:
Cheers Ed

paul04

Über Member
:bicycle::angel:How do you all manage, if you do? to find the get up and go on a chilly weekend morning when all you want to do is snuggle in, read the papers, munch on a nice brekky then "footer about", lol, for the rest of the day?
Forecast for tomorrow up here not the best!
:cry:

I find it quite refreshing, and by the time I've got to work ,I'm nice and warm, weekends are the same, up early (ish) no mad drivers on the road, and cycle where you want.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
This is all good encouragement for when it actually gets "cold" cold. for the time being I'll still deem my shorts and get hot in my windproof jacket as I haven't ordered a Jersey yet, just got to order some thermals and off I go.. the Car went and got replaced by my Vintage bike. so there's not much choice in the matter!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'm never happier than when there is frost at the side of the road - just so long as there is no ice on the road surface. You can always wear more layers and cycle yourself warm. Scorching hot, sunny, dry days are nice to loaf about in, but hell on wheels when cycling.

Top Bottom