Motivation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I don't need any motivation to ride, I just do.
For me it's an addiction. The only weather I don't ride in is snow(gotta be heavy snow) but that doesn't occur much.
I also have ridden quite often when I'm ill aswell. My wife says I'm crazy; she's probably right.
It's my only vice. Although it costs me a fortune on bikes and accessories and clothing etc etc....
The lightest thing on my bike is my wallet!
Sorry for rambling on, but I love all bikes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't own any other vehicles and dislike busses.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
initially the motivation was to get fitter and lose weight in the process. As it's a primary part of my commute I now do it because it's what I do. That's very much what gets me out on the wet and windy days. Last year adding miles to prepare for the Ride London was a big thing and even post that it was because it was the habit, although my random leisure riding tailed off after. Riding through the week I rarely get up of a weekend and think 'time to ride' unless I'm going out with family, or changing to the dirt for a bit. That may change when the weather gets better, although I'll probably just lengthen the odd ride home by another 20 miles or so (and actually ride home rather than to where the car should be).

Martin710

My motivation is getting out of the house as often as possible, a bit of blue sky and I am getting ready.
I do try to plan but spur of the moment can be good sometimes, I got caught in a snow storm last sunday:cold:

outlash

also available in orange
As I don't get a whole lot of time to ride, I know I'll regret it if I don't go out. Barring really string winds, weather isn't a factor. In fact there's a slightly perverse pleasure riding in bad weather.

Tony.

Katherine

Guru
I love the feeling of being on my bike outside. I'm also loving being fitter, stronger and wearing clothes three sizes smaller than I was 4 years ago. With a husband who works shifts, I was quite restricted in being able to get any kind of regular exercise, even when the kids were old enough to leave on their own, they still needed mum's taxi service! Now that the youngest has gone to uni, all I want to do is ride!

Edit: and cake :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maye a daft question but what's motivates everyone to go out on their bike.

Obviously we're all different but I suppose the enjoyment, fitness aspect, set goals, friendship with others and a whole host of other things.

What makes everyone go out, what do you think of when your about to head out ?
Enjoyment, fitness aspect, goals set, friendship with others and ...

... remembering what it felt like to nearly die from self-neglect, and then not being able to ride for 8 months!

I want to enjoy cycling for as long as I can, and the more of it that I do, the longer I will probably be able to do it for.

PS In my case, averaging 10-20 miles a day, not 200+ ...! :laugh:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Justifying having 4 bikes and having spent 000s on them and kit!

Plus I quite enjoy it. Recently I've been more off the bike than on, roll on April

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
A father who died aged 65 of a heart attack.
2 uncles in their 60's with heart problems.
A friend who had a heart attack aged 45 and has lost the use of over 1/3 of his heart.
Being slimmer and healthier than most of my contemporaries.
The ability to eat pretty much anything, knowing I will burn it off
Getting out in the open air.
Quiet rural roads at 5.15am
Saving money on diesel and parking when commuting, until I go and spend it on more bike stuff that I never knew was a necessity until I saw it in a shop or online.
Not being restricted to using a car
Addiction to endorphines
Sleeping really well after a decent ride

So not much really ^_^

buggi

Bird Saviour
Must of my cycling is done on my commute for two reasons. It fits in with my life style, and I'm actually a lazy couch potato. Once I'm home in the warm, I ain't going out again.

Other than that I will make special effort to get out on non commute time only if (a) I'm invited for a ride or (b) I have a hot date coming up (the latter being quite rare)

however all of the above serve one form of motivation... So I have a nice ass. :smile:

Just ride, going somewhere helps, targets help, but after awhile these become increasingly difficult to beat, has as been mentioned weather is very seldom as bad as predicted, and once you get riding you are generally warm with the right clothing, only once this winter did I want a ride to end, it was snowing hands were frozen (well not quite), but I still rode the distance I needed to make 6,000 miles last year, not sure if it was that day or one either side of it, but you get the picture.

Top Bottom