Motivation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LoftusRoadie

For the last 25 years I have cycled Mon-Fri either to work (longest commute was about 50 mins) or to the train station to get to work (only 10 mins now) - don't even think about it now, it's just what I do/have always done.
From the end of this month I will cycle the whole way to and from work (about 90 mins one way) - so on the weekend I go out for 90-120 mins to prepare myself for this.
Motivation for the long commute to work is money - but I wouldn't do it unless I enjoyed it, and the feeling of challenging myself.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Getting out in the lovely Devonshire countryside is a big lure for me to get on the bike at the weekends. Being able to reach some lovely little out-of-the-way gems is a great incentive to up the mileage too :smile:

It's also a great stress buster, I *know* I'm going to feel much better after a ride if there's anything bugging me, and that's enough to get me out of the door when the weather's a bit iffy.

Other than that, getting in to work on time is a good incentive to pedal a little quicker in the mornings!

Doobiesis

Über Member
I'm losing a bit of motivation recently. Doesn't help I've got very bad tennis elbow - I've got a 50 mile charity ride on 26th April but I seriously have to force myself to go out at the moment.

I remember this time last year I was rarring to go and nothing kept me off my bike. I've also struggled with changing my bike from a hybrid to a racer. I've fallen off countless times, I've suffered from chaffing and my tennis elbow.

Feel like giving up :sad:

andyfraser

Über Member
I wonder how much of it is down to the weather. It's still not very warm. This week has been blowly with the threat of rain. Some people have had much worse weather than that.

I just want to go for a ride on a nice warm day with a slight breeze.

Doobiesis

Über Member
I wonder how much of it is down to the weather. It's still not very warm. This week has been blowly with the threat of rain. Some people have had much worse weather than that.

I just want to go for a ride on a nice warm day with a slight breeze.

It could be! I hope it comes back soon. I miss it.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'm losing a bit of motivation recently. Doesn't help I've got very bad tennis elbow - I've got a 50 mile charity ride on 26th April but I seriously have to force myself to go out at the moment.

I remember this time last year I was rarring to go and nothing kept me off my bike. I've also struggled with changing my bike from a hybrid to a racer. I've fallen off countless times, I've suffered from chaffing and my tennis elbow.

You got one of those bikes you pedal with your hands as well? ^_^

Keep smiling. Summer is just around the corner.

Katherine

Guru

It sounds like your bike isn't very comfortable and could be why you're not raring to get out on it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

If you are more comfortable riding your hybrid... then ride you hybrid.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm not sure I need the motivation as I just enjoy riding . Having said that I do keep getting up at 6 am thinking I will go for an early ride but i don't go . I think that's more to do with it being 6am rather than lack of motivation though .

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Sorry but I can't remember if you said on another thread whether or not you had a bike fit.
My suggestion for a starting point would be whether the bike feels comfortable for you. Forget about falling off with the clipless pedals, that can be remedied one way or another, as discussed elsewhere, but feel comfortable with your riding position. There is some guidance from online videos such as that on the British Cycling web site, but in my experience something like reach for example, can be quite personal. If I am riding a bike and feel as though I am "stretching" to hold on the hoods, it distorts my whole feeling of being in control. (But maybe that's just me :smile:). And sometimes, a small adjustment of a centimetre or two might make all the difference..
As to the chafing, it isn't something I have experienced and not being female (at least last time I checked :shy:), my knowledge is limited. But I would guess that this may be caused by either or both of your shorts or saddle. The former in particular if there is a seam in the wrong place. Perhaps some female members of the forum will be along in due course to offer advice.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I had to sell my hybrid to make room for my racer :sad:

I would prob ditch it if I had the hybrid.
Shame.:sad: If that's the style you're more comfortable with, would it be worth getting hold of another one?

For what it's worth, this bike:
DSC02053.JPG

took me on my first 50, my first metric century and my first 100 miler. Hoping it'll take me on my first 200km sometime this year.:okay:

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I just like riding. I used to be a runner and quite slender and fit until I tore my achilles 15 years ago. I've been riding again, properly for 6 years now. Firstly with a Halfords Apollo BSO which I rode for 2 years. I wasn't as keen then as I am now, but as the weight dropped and the fitness improved, I got more and more into riding.

What motivates me is looking for new routes and deciding when I am going to be able to ride them and then looking forward to the ride. Some days I ride a route from home and then back to home. Sometimes it's a utility ride in the sun and some days we put the bikes in the car and go and ride a nice loop somewhere. We've been known to ride to the railway station and go to the coast and then ride back home again, the pretty route. It all depends. It's just the enjoyment of it all.

Luckily we both have nice bikes so can get maximum enjoyment if not maximum speed.

Top Bottom