Motivation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Big feeling of satisfaction and achievement especially after a long ride, the wonder of how far you can get under your own steam - places you only ever travelled to by use of a motor. And all the health benefits.
And to try and beat my mates on strava...................

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Find it hard to get motivated though as I find cycling generally boring - can do about two hours of it before I get fed up.
I knew someone like that. He was coming out with me on 2 hour rides a couple of evenings a week after work. When he got fit enough to do more, I asked if he fancied doing an all-day ride one weekend. He looked at me as if I were mad and told me that 2-3 hours would be his mental limit. He was sure that physically he could ride all day, but he hated the idea of doing it and said that he would be bored stiff ...

I don't think that I have ever been bored on a ride. There have been times where I didn't feel very energetic and thought that I might have been better off resting, or maybe the weather turned bad on me. A couple of times I really suffered, especially when I was becoming seriously ill but didn't know it at the time. Bored though - no, not even on the (few) 14 hour rides that I have done!

andyfraser

Über Member
I get bored if I'm out on my own. If I'm with a friend or two I can ride all day, not necessarily to cover distance or at any speed, just for the fun of it. Unfortunately I only know one other person like that.

Steady

Über Member
Enjoyment.

The exercise, the working out the fitness aspect has always been a main point of cycling for me, but I wouldn't continue to do it if I didn't enjoy it, even when I'm not "enjoying it". The dreaded strava/statistic side keeps me motivated too, even if I'll never be the "best/fastest" etc, there's no harming in trying. ^_^

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I knew someone like that. He was coming out with me on 2 hour rides a couple of evenings a week after work. When he got fit enough to do more, I asked if he fancied doing an all-day ride one weekend. He looked at me as if I were mad and told me that 2-3 hours would be his mental limit. He was sure that physically he could ride all day, but he hated the idea of doing it and said that he would be bored stiff ...

I don't think that I have ever been bored on a ride. There have been times where I didn't feel very energetic and thought that I might have been better off resting, or maybe the weather turned bad on me. A couple of times I really suffered, especially when I was becoming seriously ill but didn't know it at the time. Bored though - no, not even on the (few) 14 hour rides that I have done!

Strangely I don't get bored on my long mountain hikes. I do quite a few long days in the local mountains of 8-12 hours and love (almost!) every minute of it. My mountain buddy and I intersperse the hiking with bouts of scrambling whenever we can - which we both love. Later in the year we are doing the Three Counties in one day ie Coniston Old Man, Scafell Pike & Hellvelyn which is 35 miles and I know for sure we won't be bored - knackered but def' not bored.

I'm ok with cycling but it is an adjunct to my main passion (hiking) but it is a long way from exciting for me. It does give me some pleasure, quite a lot at times, but at some level sit and pedal, pedal, pedal does not float my boat.

I have no doubt that with a bit of training I could cycle a long way although the prospect does not overly appeal. 30-35 miles is about where I get really fed up although i am nowhere near knackered at that point.

Mind you, I'm well aware the same could be said by some of long distance mountain hiking....one foot in front of the other = boring to some!

Each to their own as ever.

Doobiesis

Über Member
Motivation feeds motivation. That's what gets me out.

I'm out tomorrow morning regardless of weather or other people's plans. I always find that learning something new on every ride or concentrating on my speed or going on hill training will get me ready for it.

I also map my rides on my iPad and try and get PR on strava.

You can make your own motivation by setting challenges. :smile:

andyfraser

Über Member
Although I do get a little excited when I get a personal best or similar on Strava, I'm not very competitive. I don't much care for deliberately trying to beat my own times or other challenges I might set.

I did get up the motivation to do a quick 6 miles on my single speed bike this afternoon though. That was hard work but fun.

sarahale

Über Member
I own a horse which I keep 7 miles from home and I don't have a car any more. I have to get up and out on my bike no matter what to go and see to him. Once I'm out its easy to do more unless the weather is terrible. This morning I was on my bike at half 5 in the rain so I just did 20 miles

sarahale

Über Member
I also enjoy that it keeps me fit and under 9st without trying. And I usually aim for one charity event a year so that gives me motivation to train harder for that. This year is off road 75mile L2B in Sept and I have already started pushing myself a little harder and going a bit further in preparation

Mummy3monkeys

My motivation is the freedom, the time to myself (work, 3 kids, husband, father with dementia), it clears my mind. I am seriously addicted, with the added bonus of it being good for me to. I love the fresh air and finding places round near where I live that I never knew were there.
If I can't get out for whatever reason, I am itching to get out as soon as I can.
I am also a goal setter, and like seeing if I can push myself, slight competitive streak (no one to compete with mind you!!), determined.

Oh, and not forgetting of course:

Top Bottom