Motor Insurance Bureau - Pointless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I found them to be worse than the insurance company that I ended up dealing with.
If the unwritten rule is deny any responsiblity in an accident, these'll put that through the wringer. They make it nearly impossible to make a claim against them.

Sorry to hear that, neither you nor fossy have been put back into the position you were the moment before accident, which you should have been.

Selfishly, it's not very encouraging should I ever need to make a claim.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry to hear that, neither you nor fossy have been put back into the position you were the moment before accident, which you should have been.

Selfishly, it's not very encouraging should I ever need to make a claim.
They did everything possible to try and prevent a claim being made against/through them.
In the end it was dealt with by RJW through the CTC.

At one stage over £2000 out of pocket, and no painkillers allowed. Not certain which was worse

spen666

Legendary Member
Mine was handled by British Cycling and Leigh Day. It does seem impossible if the car has gone off scene without details
Not sure why you used solicitors for an MIB claim.

However, the process is designed to be done without and you are unlikely to get your legal costs back if you do use them

classic33

Leg End Member

However, the process is designed to be done without and you are unlikely to get your legal costs back if you do use them
Why do they include the following on the form
"Notes for solicitors and representatives
You must give your client a copy of our booklet Guide to making a Motor Insurers’ Bureau claim when you ask them to fill in or sign this form. If you already have an MIB claim reference, please write it here."

I'd say he was just making use of the legal advice that was available to him.

spen666

Legendary Member
Why do they include the following on the form
"Notes for solicitors and representatives
You must give your client a copy of our booklet Guide to making a Motor Insurers’ Bureau claim when you ask them to fill in or sign this form. If you already have an MIB claim reference, please write it here."

I'd say he was just making use of the legal advice that was available to him.
The booklet telling the client how easy it is to do it for themselves?

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Erm, I have legal cover through British Cycling and Leigh Day, and there was a potential claim against me. My legal fees are covered by my membership, and I have third party insurance.

spen666

Legendary Member
Erm, I have legal cover through British Cycling and Leigh Day, and there was a potential claim against me. My legal fees are covered by my membership, and I have third party insurance.
That's why I said I wasn't sure why...I suspected that was the case.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

do you have pedestrian insurance ?

Under my home insurance I have third liability as well, but the chances for damage on a bicycle are much higher. With the best will in the world, if you are a regular cyclist, and make a mistake when filtering you could easily knock off a £400 wing mirror. Makes sence to be covered ? Do you have cover on your bike Profpointy ? I pranged a taxi once when I hit a pothole. Put a dent in it. Gave him my details but he didn't chase me up.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Under my home insurance I have third liability as well, but the chances for damage on a bicycle are much higher. With the best will in the world, if you are a regular cyclist, and make a mistake when filtering you could easily knock off a £400 wing mirror. Makes sence to be covered ? Do you have cover on your bike Profpointy ? I pranged a taxi once when I hit a pothole. Put a dent in it. Gave him my details but he didn't chase me up.

Not sure you've thought it through. For £400 claim you can easily self-insure. The poi t of 3rd party insurance is to avoid the financial ruin claim surely

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

For my £36 a year BC membership all this comes as part of it. In my case the 'other' cyclist has, after 5 months, got a solicitor and is coming after 'me'. Claim is I was going to fast, wasn't watching where I was going. etc. etc. I can't help getting a knock from a car, but I'm covered by BC to assist in this situation. The other chap fractured both elbows, one quite badly. I do have GPS that does show I wasn't going fast !

I do feel bad that the other chap was knocked off when I was, but at least he can claim from me. If I hadn't got specific insurance and legal cover I would be crapping myself now ! BC really do sort it all out for you via their insurers and solicitors.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For my £36 a year BC membership all this comes as part of it. In my case the 'other' cyclist has, after 5 months, got a solicitor and is coming after 'me'. Claim is I was going to fast, wasn't watching where I was going. etc. etc. I can't help getting a knock from a car, but I'm covered by BC to assist in this situation. The other chap fractured both elbows, one quite badly. I do have GPS that does show I wasn't going fast !

I do feel bad that the other chap was knocked off when I was, but at least he can claim from me. If I hadn't got specific insurance and legal cover I would be crapping myself now ! BC really do sort it all out for you via their insurers and solicitors.

On the later point, unless it was your fault in some way, he will lose his claim against you, and your insurance won't pay - unless they simply pay to make him go away to avoid a case - but "no blame, no claim" to turn round the advertising sound bite. Your insurance still saves you having to fight it yourself of course

Top Bottom