Motor Insurance Bureau - Pointless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you get a hit and run then don't expect them to accept your claim. I've been turned down as we couldn't prove the car hit me despite suddenly getting knocked off and flying through the air landing on my head. Cant appeal as it costs £700 and that's not covered by BC.

Not sure how that affects the other chap that was knocked off by my crashed bike, but at least I have insurance.

Bloody pointless.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I've no direct experience of the MIB, but it took a colleague three years to get a settlement.

What did they say in your case? I'm guessing, but did you get hit by a passing car and the other cyclist didn't see the impact? No other witnesses/CCTV? Any injuries consistent with being hit? I suppose their line was that there was not sufficient evidence to prove another vehicle was involved? I can't imagine many cyclists are trying to defraud the MIB with made up incidents...

Anyway, that sounds crap as you've got no recourse other than the MIB. It makes me think about getting a camera again.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I was clipped from behind. Driver stopped but drove off. Not sure if they realised as it was my panniers that got hit so no bang. My injuries were reflective of a hit from behind. As I went down I took another chap off. Fortunately at least he can claim from me.

Certainly thinking of one of those SJCAM M10s just to leave on loop.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Seems to me the fund is aimed at compensating those who have been hit by an uninsured driver, as opposed to an anonymous one.

I'm not trying to justify the way they've treated fossy, which looks very poor.

His case is not the first I've heard of in which a claimant has been unable to get a reasonable claim settled.

Perhaps when they pay out as I've described, they chase the uninsured driver through the civil courts.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Does seem to be for uninsured. If I'd have been knocked out rather than mild concussion and broken ribs, the same would have happened.

Wish I hadn't bothered with all the trouble, but I have done the correct thing. At least the other rider can claim from me.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Does seem to be for uninsured. If I'd have been knocked out rather than mild concussion and broken ribs, the same would have happened.

Wish I hadn't bothered with all the trouble, but I have done the correct thing. At least the other rider can claim from me.

not sure the other driver can claim from you can he? After all, if you were knocked off by Mr hit-n-run, the colliding with with cyclist B can't really be your fault, and if it's not your fault, your insurer shouldn't and needn't pay out

If the other rider witnessed it, what more proof do they want? That is, I'm assuming they did witness it.

spen666

Legendary Member
Who will pay compensation for your injury if an untraced or uninsured driver causes your RTA?
The Motor Insurer Bureau (MIB) will pay for road traffic accidents in the UK when a driver is untraced or unknown. Vehicle damage and other financial expenses will also be met by the Motor Insurance Bureau.

http://www.accident-claim-expert.co.uk/car-accident/hit-and-run-accident.html

Absolutely right, there are 2 schemes- one for uninsured and one for untraced drivers

It is worth bearing in mind there are slightly different rules for each scheme as to what is covered in terms of compensation

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

The other cyclist just sat there on the pavement, and as I was up off the middle of the road as quick as a flash I went to help him and move bikes out of the road. He said he didn't know what went on. It was during the confusion that the driver just drove off. Nobody stopped, and even a nurse walking by wouldn't wait as she was due in work. I called the ambulance.

The other rider hasn't done anything till this week when I got a letter from his solicitors blaming me for hitting his back wheel, which is effectively what happened as my bike was pushed from under me and I flew past him and landed head first into the road.

Crap happens. How one proves a hit and run when the car driver buggers off and no sod stops. That's the third time I've been knocked off where any witnesses just ignore you. At least in one the driver stopped, but it was my word vs their word, and fortunately they admitted fault. Does look you are screwed if there isn't a witness.

classic33

Leg End Member
I would be wrong, except fossy's still got no satisfaction.

So in proof of the pudding/QED terms, I might be right.
I found them to be worse than the insurance company that I ended up dealing with.
If the unwritten rule is deny any responsiblity in an accident, these'll put that through the wringer. They make it nearly impossible to make a claim against them.

Top Bottom