Motor Oil as A Lubricant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes - because if the oil cools once it's on the chain, then you might as well not have bothered heating it in the first place..

I think the idea is to thin the oil so that it flows, once in place it can thicken again. We used the idea centuries ago with motorbike chains, a kit was available that you warmed up on the stove.

The idea is to heat the gear oil (is very thick) to a temperature where it becomes quite fluid, you then drop your chain into the heated oil which will then penetrate the pins and rollers of the chain. Remove chain from the cooled oil and wipe off excess leaving the now cooled thickened oil in the pins and rollers. It works great but any excess oil that works its way onto the outside of the chain acts like fly paper and clogs up with dirt and debris very quickly.

Don't give up your day job.

S-Express

The idea is to heat the gear oil (is very thick) to a temperature where it becomes quite fluid, you then drop your chain into the heated oil which will then penetrate the pins and rollers of the chain. Remove chain from the cooled oil and wipe off excess leaving the now cooled thickened oil in the pins and rollers. It works great but any excess oil that works its way onto the outside of the chain acts like fly paper and clogs up with dirt and debris very quickly.

Gear oil is already in a liquid state - you don't need to do any of that. You are just wasting (either) gas (or) electricity (delete as appropriate).

screenman

Legendary Member
Try an experiment - open the bottle of gear oil and turn it upside down. Does it 'flow' out? If the answer is yes, then you don't need to heat it.

I knows that, I have never found a need to use such a system, I was merely pointing out it's availability.

screenman

Legendary Member
Try an experiment - open the bottle of gear oil and turn it upside down. Does it 'flow' out? If the answer is yes, then you don't need to heat it.

But would its viscosity change if you heated it?

davidphilips

Veteran

thats what my grandad would do with his old triumph bonneville (motorbike) chains he always had 2 chains, i remember him heating up an old tin plate full of oil and chain,on the kitchen gas cooker ,still remember the smell.great way of getting heavy oil into the links.
my own view on chain oil is the thinner the better unless you are prepared to use the heat treatment, leave for a few minutes and wipe of excess with a rag and some cleaning agent.

Last edited:
Refuting the hot oil fairytale is easy. Apply some of the said heavy oil to a clean bicycle chain. Spin the crank twice. Now disassemble the chain at the quick link and see if the inside is still dry. Report back.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I think the idea is to thin the oil so that it flows, once in place it can thicken again. We used the idea centuries ago with motorbike chains, a kit was available that you warmed up on the stove.

I used this years ago I on motorbikes...

image.jpeg

GC

Top Bottom