Motor Oil as A Lubricant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only problem I can see with engine oil is that the default container is large enough for a huuuuuuge fleet. For several millennia!
Chain oil from Wilko or Poundland seems to work nicely, but I'm sure any runny-ish oil would be fine.

Remember a guy telling me "it has to be Finish Line lube"
I enquired as to why,and he told me "cos the shop told me more expensive ones last longer"
Well naturally .
:rolleyes:^_^

tyred

Legendary Member
I have always used engine oil and never found a problem.

pawl

Legendary Member
I have been using motor oil as a lubricant for my bicycle chain for a few years and it seems to do a good job only it can collect some dirt which can be washed off . But I have just read that motor oil can cause chain wear which I do not believe . Your views on the subject

I have used gearbox oil or rear axle (remember them) oil ok my motor cycle chain.
Not sure if this may be to heavy for cycle chains

S-Express

Any oil is better than no oil. In fact any lube is better than no lube. It doesn't really matter whether it is hypoid, or for gearboxes or axles, multigrade or monograde, or out of a spray can or dropper bottle, or from Halfords or Rapha or the local pound shop.

Ajax Bay

Guru
It doesn't really matter
Do you actually think that the type of oil you use "doesn't really matter"? As in no one oil is better (efficiency of drive, longevity (in both senses) of the chain) than any other for lubricating bicycle chains?
[QUOTE 4478653, member: 9609"]
chainwear_zps9mebassu.jpg
[/QUOTE]

subaqua

What’s the point
Of course there is a cure for dirty chains (and trousers).
8.Raleigh.Chrome.Detail.3.jpg

I intend to fit some form of chaincase to my 8 speed hub geared bike.

Yes Mickling the chain . A case is just PPE . Processes beat protective equipment

tyred

Legendary Member
Yes Mickling the chain . A case is just PPE . Processes beat protective equipment

I have to disagree. It drastically reduces maintenance time as all you need to do is add oil as no cleaning will be necessary. I refurbished a chaincase equipped Rudge about 8 years and the chain still looks just like it did when I took it out of the wrapper. The beauty of having a hub geared bike is the ability to fit a chaincase.

keithmac

Guru
TL-45 is the best bar none for motorcycle chains, works well on bicycles but is a bit "sticky" and can attract dirt.

I went for Gates Carbon Drive on my latest bike, see enough chains at work so bollocks to messing about with them on my days off..

20110123_IMG_0858.jpg

Top Bottom