Motor Oil as A Lubricant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

I used this years ago I on motorbikes...

View attachment 145009

GC

I used those too. The difference with those tins is that the contents are effectively solid until heated. Gear oil is already fluid, so therefore requires no heating.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4479147, member: 9609"]My big question now is - does the old chain go in the recycling bucket, I would have thought so but bloke on local council say not...[/QUOTE]
Life was so simple in the old days when everything went in one bin to landfill:sad:

I used this years ago I on motorbikes...

View attachment 145009

GC

Nowadays we use airRsoles. :smile:

A mix of thick goo (technical term) and solvent.
Spray on, it penetrates, then solvent evaporates, although motorbike chains have O rings in them to keep lube in and dirt out.

Last edited:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Finally! I'm glad to discover that I'm not the only one using motor oil on my chains! One fella tells me I'm crazy for doing that. I've been getting over 5000 miles per chain, and never was able to get the "go/no go" Parks gauge into a chain. Never had one wear that much before I dust bin it. This fella who says I'm crazy for doing that, carefully cleans and lubes his chain after most rides with with some special chain lube, then dustbins every chain at 1000 miles!!! I asked him why, if he's going to toss it at 1000 miles, why bother to clean and lube it at all?

Top Bottom