Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I found that the KTM390 had a really odd riding position it felt as if you were leaning over the handlebars.

My two favourite do everything bikes were my CBR600F and Triumph Street Triple, both quick enough to be fun but both easy to ride in heavy traffic.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Both bikes that have a sterling reputation. I'm trying to scale down though, I want something small and light and only just enough power for my needs. I did have an FZ6 which was perfect for me at the time, but I don't need all that power now

MarkF

Guru
Yeah that looks good. Anything like that will do, just light enough to be easier for pushing around when needed, just enough power to get away from cars at the front of the lights. I also looked at the KTM390 but not sure about reliability. I still love the Royal Enfield in army colours, but the only one I've seen is £3800 which is more than I want to spend.

We are liking the same bikes.^_^ I've looked at the KTM too, it's look fun, but there are just too many owner reports of the same faults for me to buy one. An RE dealer is local to me, I like the army and the new trail versions but still too heavy for the power output to be fun, even if I love their looks. Would like a W650 but prices are crazy for bikes 20 years old!

I keep an eye out for FMX650's too, a "newer" Dominator really, same super reliable engine. This is good value, bet you could ride it 5 years but 10k miles on it and still get over £2k for it..
https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbikes/honda-fmx-650-supermoto-motorbike/1362689981

Last edited:

DSK

My colleague has gone from a number of sports bikes to a Yamaha TDM 900 (vtwin - sounds the business). Its an older one he paid about £1500 for with 45,000 miles. I've ridden its and amazed at how easy it is to wheel around in a car park, the torque is nice, very comfy seat and the whole ergonomics are spot on for comfort, with the seat/bars/pegs all at point where each part of those areas are relaxed. Most other upright stuff I have tried is more similar to your SV650 but a lot of these modern uprights have high pegs which can cause usual fatigue.

Smudge

Veteran
My colleague has gone from a number of sports bikes to a Yamaha TDM 900 (vtwin - sounds the business). Its an older one he paid about £1500 for with 45,000 miles. I've ridden its and amazed at how easy it is to wheel around in a car park, the torque is nice, very comfy seat and the whole ergonomics are spot on for comfort, with the seat/bars/pegs all at point where each part of those areas are relaxed. Most other upright stuff I have tried is more similar to your SV650 but a lot of these modern uprights have high pegs which can cause usual fatigue.

They are good bikes the Yam TDM, but they're a parallel twin, not a v.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A mate who lives opposite has just taken delivery of one of these -

2010 Ducati Sreetfighter V-twin. Sitting aboard it has a lovely riding position but it wouldn't be for me as it wheelies in every gear if you're a bit heavy handed on the throttle. The 7k price tag for a ten year old bike would put me off too although with only 15k on the clock it is in showroom condition. God knows what a rear boot would cost but I've seen narrower tyres on a tractor.

figbat

Slippery scientist
They are good bikes the Yam TDM, but they're a parallel twin, not a v.
I was going to say the same - although they do run 270° crank pins so are something of a parallel-vee hybrid.

Smudge

Veteran
I was going to say the same - although they do run 270° crank pins so are something of a parallel-vee hybrid.

Yes, i had the 270 degree parallel twin on my Yam Super Tenere 1200. Yamaha does have a good reputation for p twins. Although even with the 270 crank they dont quite have the feel, or the character, of v twins i've had in the past.

Drago

Legendary Member
I had the old 750 Super Tenere for a short while. The lad I sold it too was a loon and had a very nasty smash in it. He lived, but spent about 6 months in Addenbrookes.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There's something about motorcycling to an even greater extent than with cycling - it just gets deep into the blood and you never lose the urge to get aboard another one, no matter what your age. It must be five years or so since I last owned one but I've still got all the gear, helmet, leathers, boots and gloves. I could never get rid of them, because you know, just in case...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There's something about motorcycling to an even greater extent than with cycling - it just gets deep into the blood and you never lose the urge to get aboard another one, no matter what your age. It must be five years or so since I last owned one but I've still got all the gear, helmet, leathers, boots and gloves. I could never get rid of them, because you know, just in case...

I returned to motorcycling after nearly a 30 year gap but found that my leathers had shrunk

Top Bottom