Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Imagine the turning circle :laugh:

You'd need the fe kin north circular to do a u turn :laugh:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Had yet another fail on the A2 Mod 1 on Thursday, instructor showed me this on his phone. Granted, this is a Harley not a 'Wing but this guy would manage just fine.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9MVY8swO5M

Im thinking about getting a scooter - it looks so much fun. The only thing is I am quite a nervous cyclist - wonder if I would just be a nervous wreck riding the thing !

Smudge

Veteran
On a bicycle you're constantly being overtaken by cars, with the inevitable occasional close passes. Being on a motorcycle or scooter obviously much, much less so.
I feel far safer on my motorcycles than i ever do on a push bike.

Gunk

Guru
Speak to your local motorcycle training school borrow one of their bikes and do your CBT. You’ll know by the end of the day if it’s for you.

motorcycles have been a lifelong obsession and passion for me, however they’re not for everyone, I’ve known people even pass their test and after 6 months decided to call it a day.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
To be honest, the slower the bike, the more vulnerable you are. On a 49cc scooter/moped, you're generally flat out at +/-30mph, so if someone pulls out on you or into your lane, you can't power past them. That's not to worry anyone (despite what it might seem) as it very rarely happens, but a 100 or 125 is ideal for most commutes.

The electric moped I have for example is perfect for 30 zones and going into town etc, but having tried it in a 50mph zone it wasn't pleasant, as you're very aware of holding people up so you tend to ride close the gutter. This leads to people thinking they can overtake when there's a car coming the other way (single carriage roads) so you can just cause yourself more agro. The big trick (imho) with motorbikes and scooters is the same as cycling: confidence. If you give yourself a presence on the roads (without being cocky or dangerous) you generally find you get a bit more respect back, imho anyhow.

In other news, finally got the BMW on the road (taxed and insured) so went for a short maiden flight. It's really nice to ride, but whoever designed the indicators (separate switch on each handlebar, and a separate cancelling switch) needs to have a strong word with themselves, as it's a terrible, hopeless design. Probably fine if you only ever ride BMS, but incredibly annoying if you don't.

The Cagiva 125 went and was immediately replaced by a 1998 Yamaha SR125. Passed my test one of these in 1983, so a nice little trip down memory lane. That's on SORN at the moment, still waiting for DVLA to sort the log book out for the Vespa, as I want that on the road next, can't wait to get out on it.

The Lambretta has been playing up again (who'd have thought it, hey?!) but I had a power (loosest sense of the word) pipe fitted which makes it sound much better.

Gunk

Guru
You’re right about the indicator switches, even after 3 years F800ST ownership I never got used to them, the design is just counter intuitive and clumsy. BMW have now gone back to a regular single indicator switch.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Im thinking about getting a scooter - it looks so much fun. The only thing is I am quite a nervous cyclist - wonder if I would just be a nervous wreck riding the thing !
Oh, they're fun. Don't bother with 50cc, except as baby steps. Limited to 28 mph, so that rules out using a lot of roads (safely, legally, or both). A 125 will be OK on A roads, if/when you get a full licence motorways are doable, provided you're careful and don't mind sitting in the inside lane for the most part. Did Wembley and back on the PCX a fortnight ago- took over two hours each way, but that was down to congestion and diversions rather than the bike not doing much more than 60!

Johnsop99

Veteran

After 8 years layoff look what Santa brought me!

figbat

Slippery scientist
Passed my tests in 2000, had a XJ600 for a year then a YZF600R Thundercat for 17 years. Last year I finally chopped it in for a KTM 990SMT. I don’t get out as much as I’d like to but when I do it is often for a weekend away somewhere with mates.

Top Bottom