Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
I started on a knackered Raleigh moped which had a fanbelt primary drive which gave an auto experience with authentic torque converter slip.

Next was a slightly less knackered Yamaha FS1E.

The bike I had most fun on was a Honda CB175.

It handled terribly and was pitifully slow, but - after it was fettled - was bulletproof reliable and almost unbelievably economical.

A newish Honda 250 Superdream followed.

In theory, an upgrade to the CB175, but it didn't click with me.

My last motorbike was a Suziki GS125 commuter which I had in London in the 1980s.

Many of us that started riding in the mid 70's had a Fizzie.... or a Honda SS50.

D

Deleted member 26715

Many of us that started riding in the mid 70's had a Fizzie.... or a Honda SS50.
Or the Suzuki AP50

Drago

Legendary Member
The Max has been cleaned, waxed, all chrome, plated and polished parts slathered with Duck Oil, battery removed, put on paddock stands and covered over for winter. Plan is to refit the head to the Fzr over winter, and then alternate their use year by year.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
All three of the popular Japanese mopeds were represented in my little squad of mates in the lower sixth.

Things were spoiled by Andrews, whose dad was well minted and who bought him a brand new Yamaha RD125 when he turned 17.

I got a very second hand Triumph Herald.

No matter, it had passenger seats for frowned upon lunchtime excursions with my school chums.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
As per avatar

Johnsop99

Veteran
Memory test:
Honda SS50
BSA D14/4 Bantam
Honda CG125
Honda CB550F1
Honda CB100N
Honda CX500B
Honda CD175
BMW R80ST
Honda CB250N
BMW R75/5 + Squire sidecar
BMW R75/6
BMW R45
BMW R65RS (R65 converted with RS fairing)
BMW K75
Kawasaki ZZR1100C2
Kawasaki ZXR1100C1
MZ250ETZ
Yamaha RS200
Yamaha XJ600N
Kawasaki ZXR750L2
I think that's most of them. Having worked in the trade for around 15 years there are many more I have ridden but not owned.
Never owned a Suzuki, probably put off by their electrical problems late 70s/early 80s. The CX500 took me 3,200 miles in 8 days around the coast of mainland Britain. Bought the K75 new and sold it 18 months later with 68,000 on the clock. Generally had two bikes at any one time, most I had was four. Retired 7 years ago when I took up cycling. All bikers should have a go on a sidecar outfit, great fun!

D

Deleted member 26715

Never owned a Suzuki, probably put off by their electrical problems late 70s/early 80s.
Isn't it funny how things stay with you, I would class myself as Honda man & also stayed away from Suzuki's

keithmac

Guru
Quite sobering that I've probably worked on the vast majority of these modles mentioned in here over the years!.

Got a 1979 Suzuki GT250 x7 on the bench tomorrow just after I've finished a Triumph Sprint 1050 service.

Carb tuning is becoming a lost art nowadays, keep up the good work!.

D

Deleted member 26715

Got a 1979 Suzuki GT250 x7 on the bench tomorrow
First 250 with a claimed top speed of over 100mph, weren't they referred to as plastic fantastics or something like that, they had so many plastic parts to get the weight down to achieve the speed, never rode one but was told you could feel the frame twisting as you were riding.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
X7s, were ace, but skitty in the wet, iirc. My mate had one (brand new) and rode it like a right ponce, he kept taking it back because it was clogging up and once the mechanic had given it a really good pasting, it was alright again for a bit.

My GT380 had worn out a Dunlop rear tyre in 1800 miles, and once achieved 16mpg thrashing it to Rhyl and back racing a lad on an RD250E. My achilles heels were Yamahas, everyone I owned was absolute rubbish from two RD125 twins, an RD200 and a 250E. Never really been a fan of Yams since to be honest.

Smudge

Veteran
I've had a lot of Suzuki's, from the GS1000 i had in the early 80's, through to the V Strom i had only a few years ago. Can't remember any real reliability issues with any of them, probably been as good reliability wise as any bikes i've had from the other 3 main Japanese manufacturers. The only quality issue i've had with Suzuki's has been the paint, its often thin in places, especially on the wheels, forks and engine, where the ally will often oxidise underneath .
Honda always used to be top of the tree quality wise, and were always the most expensive, but they're all much of a muchness now. They're all competing on price and corners get cut in quality.
Most unreliable bike i've had was a Triumph Tiger 955i that i bought brand new back in 2005, i had numerous issues with it where it had to go back in for warranty work. On many of these faults Triumph would argue whether it was a warranty issue and try to get out of doing the work. Subsequently, i wont do business with Triumph again.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No one admit to owning a Harley? A mate had a Heritage Soft Tail Classic, he loved it but God what a heap. Going on a run with him was excruciating, it accelerated like a milk float and cornered like an aircraft carrier that was taking on water. I don't know what people see in them, you can get a far superior Japanese cruiser for half the price and they don't sound like an explosion in a ball bearing factory.

Top Bottom