Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Not really sure if this welcome in the electric cycle thread on CC, probably not here either, but if anyone's interested here's the low down on the electric scooter, which is a Lifan LF1200.

The publicity seems to suggest they'll do between 40-75 miles on a charge, which seems incredibly over optimistic, being honest. I think someone said that after the initial ten charges it will get better (that seems to be true, too) but my best so far has been about 27 miles. There are three phases of 'speed' 12/18/30mph, from memory. Obviously the lower the range, the further it should go and mine went into a sort of limp mode (12mph) when the battery was down to about 10% remaining, and obviously there's no pedalling when the battery runs out!
Was told they can be used in 12mph mode on cycle paths etc, but being honest if I ever did I'd cover the number plate as someone is bound to take exception to it I reckon. Parts, with the exception of the battery (£500 iirc) are really cheap, including the plastics.

Mine's been chipped and once did an impressive 37mph down a bit of a hill, though on a flat in 'normal' conditions, it hovers around 30mph. It's no fun on 50mph roads, only a little better in 40 zones, but purely because you know you're holding people up and all your speed is already being utilised.
It's best being used for what I suppose it was meant for, commuting to and round town and maybe work if you take slower roads. It's weird riding it, all you can hear is wind noise and stopped at lights etc it's surreal hearing pedestrians having conversations, as you can car drivers. It's not been too much of a hazard with pedestrians so far either, bit worried that because there's nothing to hear, people might step out but keep my finger over the horn just in case.
There's a kill switch under the seat, along with the bit where the battery goes, and removal is quite simple. The seat catch doesn't seem overly well made though, so can be a faff getting it to unlock to access battery. Decent top box at standard which holds a helmet, little shopping hook inside leg shields also.

Very, very impressed with it so far, about 160 miles on the clock at the moment. It'd be no good if you're commuting on 50mph roads or for distances of perhaps more than 25 miles each way (charging it after each ride) but for town or pottering about, it's honestly brilliant. Even with time to put coat/helmet/gloves on and getting it out of the garage, it's so much quicker going to city centre and actually very pleasant. I even use it to go to the petrol station with a can in the top box if the car or one of the other scooters is running low.

Lithium batteries iirc, and we all know that power stations aren't run on lentils and fairy dust, so electric motoring isn't quite as 'green' as some might suggest, but it's great not having to put petrol in it!

MarkF

Guru
Sorry but the Lifan................it could go around the world for a cost of 1 penny, I am still not getting on it.....plus, I am not sure that is cheaper to use/own/run than my more useful 65mph, 2 seater, 95+mpg, 130 mile range, 125cc Suzuki Van Van. I bought it for £1200 (ish), it's now worth more........

Lots of nice bikes in this thread, I know some modern bikes would suit me (I am 56), I am thinking of the Yamaha MT07 and XSR, they would be definitely great fun but they look like somebody has drawn a motorbike shape in adhesive and then asked kids to throw random bits of metal at it.

I send a lot of time in Spain and see early 2000's sports 600's with 70-100k on them, in the UK they'd be valued at maybe £1500 with 20k on them, incredible value! Especially as the game has not really moved much on for 20 years.

I have had too many bikes/scooters to recall, I now have the Van Van and my Vespa but I want to change...........I am thinking of the Royal Enfield Interceptor when more owners reviews appear, or the Harley Iron, or a Pan European................but I only go 6 miles to work. I've never had any interest in big Harleys, I only like sportsters and IMO they have got it bang on with the Iron.

https://www.cyclechat.net/attachments/or2-jpg.178654/

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Never been a motorbike enthusiast but always likes the idea of scooters, Lambrettas particually based on a friend and myself having a TV175 to mess about with off the road circa 1975 when we were 15 or 16, wished I had that now, be worth some really good money now.
What I didnt realise is once you start implanting modern engines in them, while the performance and reliability goes right up, the mpg figures plummet. Colleague of mine has 3 , a Spanish winter model circa early 60s, and 2 mid 60s models, one he's having a better engine put in. If he went top of the range, he'd be looking at maybe 15 to 20 mpg :ohmy:

I had not ridden on the road for a few years, but earlier this year I started a new job a bit further away and with the best will in the world I was never going to cycle 30 miles every day. So I decided to get another motorbike. I was looking at Honda hairnets, and although they are nice bikes, I really like sports bikes. Back in 1999 I was going to get an R6, but the last of the srad gsxr 750's was offered to me at a better price so I went with that. Fast forward 20 years and I finally have an R6 in the best colours! Not the first bike you would think of for commuting, but I like it and find it comfortable.
I also have a cbr1000 (blown engine) an RGV250 and TZR125 in the garage as complete bikes and a project VFR400 with VFR750 engine to be fitted.
20190825_084643_resized.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Got to be wrong with the setup to get only that from it
It's the way to get power out of a 2 stroke, basically chuck loads of fuel in and what doesn't get burnt cools the engine, in the late 70s a mate had an 'proddy race tuned' S3 Kawasaki (early 400cc triple) he was lucky to get 10mpg out of it, mind it didn't half shift.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just remembered another one I had Yamaha DT 125

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
I had not ridden on the road for a few years, but earlier this year I started a new job a bit further away and with the best will in the world I was never going to cycle 30 miles every day. So I decided to get another motorbike. I was looking at Honda hairnets, and although they are nice bikes, I really like sports bikes. Back in 1999 I was going to get an R6, but the last of the srad gsxr 750's was offered to me at a better price so I went with that. Fast forward 20 years and I finally have an R6 in the best colours! Not the first bike you would think of for commuting, but I like it and find it comfortable.
I also have a cbr1000 (blown engine) an RGV250 and TZR125 in the garage as complete bikes and a project VFR400 with VFR750 engine to be fitted.

That R6 looks lovely, but please post some pictures of the RGV!

Dropped the Lambretta off for a bit of work to be done a week or so ago and collected it Sat morning. Only just had the chance to use it today and I think the throttle cable has come adrift at the carb end. No biggy, they're going to took at it tomorrow for me. Looking forward to a bit of a mooch about on it.
Anyhow, wheeled the 750/4 out of the garage and spent ages trying to start it before I remembered the kill switch! Only did a couple of miles, thoroughly enjoyable but it needs the carbs adjusting/balancing as it doesn't like ticking over at the moment.

D

Deleted member 26715

wheeled the 750/4 out of the garage and spent ages trying to start it before I remembered the kill switch!
Mate of mine once got recovered by the AA for the exact same reason, asked me to go round & check it out with multimeter. I looked at the switch flicked it, pressed the starter & away it went Oh of we laughed

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkF

Guru
I nearly bought a Pan European today, silly really as I only do a 15 mile round commute.................talk about overkill! No way could I filter through Bradford on that (unless it was a white one........), + with the wacky racers, it's just not nimble enough to avoid the regular "near misses".

But I am looking for a belt/shaft drive commuter "something" as I no longer have the free time to do any other motorcycling, seen a Honda Silverwing today, looks c.o.m.f.y and b.i.g. I've had 2 maxi-a scooters before, a Majesty 250 and a Burgman 400 and they were great fun. Any input on the Silverwing?

pclay

Veteran
Yamaha xj6. Thinking of selling and getting a 125 instead, as I only do about 1000 miles a year.

IMG_20191019_153304_575.jpg

Reactions: DSK
Top Bottom