Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I remember the first Silverwing, which was a mini Goldwing tourer based on the Honda CX500 and 650.
I had one of the CX500's back in the early 80's, they had the nickname of plastic maggots, but they were popular with the dispatch riders. Its the only time Honda has used this twin cylinder engine configuration, which is the same configuration as Moto Guzzi still use today.
Aye, I've had a Silver Wing Interstate and a CX. The Wing was fantastic for a big laddie like me but it never quite felt right and over time I discovered a few tell tale signs it had been in a smack sufficiently big to require frame repairs. So it went, and I bought the CX off my mates Dad.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Only ever ridden a scooter once think it was a Vespa 100 or something like that. Absolutely hated it the most unstable thing I have ever driven & that includes horses
Same as me. I prepped a scoot for a neighbour after her husband died and she was selling his one. Propped up on small wheels rather than sitting astride a couple of larger ones made the balance feel all wrong and I absolutely detested the automatic gearbox.

Smudge

Veteran
Aye, I've had a Silver Wing Interstate and a CX. The Wing was fantastic for a big laddie like me but it never quite felt right and over time I discovered a few tell tale signs it had been in a smack sufficiently big to require frame repairs. So it went, and I bought the CX off my mates Dad.

I also had the mk2 updated CX500 sometime around the mid 80's, which they called the Eurosport. They also did a 650 version of it with an added turbo. Never did get to try that one.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, mine was the original twin shock 500 plastic pig. It didnt have many miles and was in great condition. I later sold it on to a greebo who chopped it up to make a trike. I should have sensed his intentions when he turned up to view it on a DR600...with a GSX600F engine crammed into the frame.

I then went and bought a new FZR600, on the basis that it was a sporty scalpel in its day, and quick enough to thrash but not so quick as to corrupt my personality as the Gixxer had. 28 years later I still have the Fizzer.

Smudge

Veteran
Yep, mine was the original twin shock 500 plastic pig. It didnt have many miles and was in great condition. I later sold it on to a greebo who chopped it up to make a trike. I should have sensed his intentions when he turned up to view it on a DR600...with a GSX600F engine crammed into the frame.

I then went and bought a new FZR600, on the basis that it was a sporty scalpel in its day, and quick enough to thrash but not so quick as to corrupt my personality as the Gixxer had. 28 years later I still have the Fizzer.

Amazing you've kept that bike for 28 years. I think the longest i've kept a bike was a mk2 Bandit 12 i had for around 4 years. All the others have been chopped in after 3 yrs or less, some i've only had a few months and moved them on.
Although now, i'm wondering if the two bikes i currently have will be the last ones to see out the rest of my motorcycling days..... but i've said that about previous bikes.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Blimey o' Riley , you lot make me feel decidedly under biked ! This is all l have left of my "bike life" having got through a fair few in my younger days . Only had two crashes though , first one on a home built off roader which l totally lost control of while riding along the top of the Wash sea defences in Lincolnshire. Bet you aren't allowed to do that now. Second one was riding a Lambretta from Boston to Spalding on the A16 late at night pi**ing with rain , head down, looked up, car brake lights right in front of me ....Oops scooter wedged under car me bumping along on my bum . Apart from loss of dignity and a bit of skin, no harm done. Car driver was a star , helped me un-wedge the scooter , bash its front mudguard off the wheel and l made it home.
Not to be trusted on two wheels l hear you say ! In my defence l am older and a bit wiser now , just as well with this lively little blighter ^_^

IMG_0064_2.jpg

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Blimey o' Riley , you lot make me feel decidedly under biked ! This is all l have left of my "bike life" having got through a fair few in my younger days . Only had two crashes though , first one on a home built off roader which l totally lost control of while riding along the top of the Wash sea defences in Lincolnshire. Bet you aren't allowed to do that now. Second one was riding a Lambretta from Boston to Spalding on the A16 late at night pi**ing with rain , head down, looked up, car brake lights right in front of me ....Oops scooter wedged under car me bumping along on my bum . Apart from loss of dignity and a bit of skin, no harm done. Car driver was a star , helped me un-wedge the scooter , bash its front mudguard off the wheel and l made it home.
Not to be trusted on two wheels l hear you say ! In my defence l am older and a bit wiser now , just as well with this lively little blighter ^_^

View attachment 492080
Underbiked? 748? I think not! :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
Amazing you've kept that bike for 28 years. I think the longest i've kept a bike was a mk2 Bandit 12 i had for around 4 years. All the others have been chopped in after 3 yrs or less, some i've only had a few months and moved them on.
Although now, i'm wondering if the two bikes i currently have will be the last ones to see out the rest of my motorcycling days..... but i've said that about previous bikes.
It's been completely rebuilt over the last 3 years. Stripped to the last nit and bolt, powder coated frame, professional new paint to match the u damaged mural panels, Hayabusa rear shock amd home made dog bones, Racetech front springs and cartridge emulators at great expense from the US, Yoshimura R&D pipes (still have the originals in very good nick, powder coated wheels, engine case refinished, new tyres. Ran it last year and decided it was getting a bit top end rattly, and rather than do a re shim and find it was still rattly I've had the head off and rebuilt by a mate in Kent who works for a car tuner. Its rebuilt with new valves and seats and the ports opened up a bit, and one of those "I really ought to do that" jobs is to refit the head. Once that is done the Max will come off the road for the same treatment. I've no plans to ever sell either, although never say never about adding a maxi scooter or small bore trailie to the fleet.

A modern R6 is outright quicker, but that's irrelevant when the ax speed limit is 70. Unlike the modern ultra short stroke 600s the Fizzer is quite flexible and pulls well from low revs. It doesnt rip your arms out from idle like the Max, but unlike a modern 6 you don't need to have it on the boil to get it to punt forward, so it's much nicer in modern traffic. Plus it's so rare now it gets a lot of attention, although the ultra patriotic stars and stripes American eagle paint job also turns a few heads. Not the hike to ride if you live in Syria.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
Well I made an offer for the Silverwing and the owner replied with a counter offer, I think a deal could easily be made so I've gone to ground for a bit to worry him.....and I've started to think about a Crf250L or Klx250, not much difference.:smile:

silverwing_abs_nha30m.png

kawasaki-klx250-marketing-image-234154.jpg

Smudge

Veteran
Well I made an offer for the Silverwing and the owner replied with a counter offer, I think a deal could easily be made so I've gone to ground for a bit to worry him.....and I've started to think about a Crf250L or Klx250, not much difference.:smile:

View attachment 492393

View attachment 492394

I had a 2017 CRF250L that i just sold earlier this year. The 2017 onwards are the one to go for as they updated it that years with a bit more power and a few little upgrades.

Smudge

Veteran
I've test rode the KLX as well.... and i will say it has better suspension. But for me personally, the CRF fit me better and it has a bit more power.
Rear suspension on the CRF is a bit weak, i had to take the preload to max for my 15 stone. If i had kept the bike, i probably would have upgraded the rear shock. Front Showa's are fine. Rear is probably ok for someone lighter.

Drago

Legendary Member
Small traillie like that would be perfect for me. Bit of green laning, head home via the pub.

I also have a strange urge for a quad, a proper 4x4 agricultural one. I have no use for one, no idea what I'd use it for, but I'd still like one.

Smudge

Veteran
The CRF is dirt cheap to run, 75+ mpg, 6,000 mile service intervals and valve check is double that mileage. Because they aren't an enduro that have service intervals in hours, the engines are as reliable as an anvil.
They are also really nice to ride on the road, something that proper dirt bike enduros certainly aren't.

Top Bottom