Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I owned one maybe 15 years ago as a commuter, probably the ugliest bike I've ever owned and by some distance too. Super reliable and comfy though.:okay:

I viewed a 2002 ZX6R today and a MT-03 660 single, I've totally lost the plot and trying not to make a stupid decision.
I was 28 when I passed my test (1980), and the first big bike I owned was a GT750.
Felt like a rocket ship. Had a tendency to weave at speed though.
Next was a GPz900R. What a bike that was.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
NSR125. Not may of them about even back in the day. The cooking NS125 was the common one.

My mate bought one new many years back and let me have a spin on it. It lasted about 0.3 seconds in each gear before you had to change up again, but was amusing to ride.

Drago

Legendary Member
I had a GT550 after my Gixxer, a deliberate move to try and slow me down, Even so, it's still a 5 seconds to 60 machine, so no slouch in the grand scheme. Incredibly comfy, very reliable if you kept the oils fresh, and little touches such as the digital fuel gauge were welcome conveniences and rare at the time. The 750 was much the same, but only 1 mph faster for a lot more insurance.

A few years ago I had the chance to buy a mint GPz900R for about 1500 quid, but passed it up. Wish I hadn't now :sad:

keithmac

Guru
I owned one maybe 15 years ago as a commuter, probably the ugliest bike I've ever owned and by some distance too. Super reliable and comfy though.:okay:

I viewed a 2002 ZX6R today and a MT-03 660 single, I've totally lost the plot and trying not to make a stupid decision.

I serviced an MT-03 on Saturday, easy to work on but a bit bland to ride?.

keithmac

Guru
MT-09 are a nice bike (very Triumph-esk), a ball ache to do valve clearances on though so you can't have your cake and eat it I suppose..

Triumph Street Triples are nice as well, good handling bike and sound lovely.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I’ve been straining the memory cells and here’s the result. Bikes owned by me & the missus.....

Yamaha RD125LC
Honda CM125 twin cruiser thingy
Kawasaki GT750
Kawasaki GPz900R
Yamaha RD350LC
Suzuki Bandit 600
Honda VFR400
Honda VF750
BMW 650CS Scarver
BMW R800
BMW R1100S
Kawasaki ZZR1100
Ducati Monster 900
Ducati 900SS
Ducati Monster 800
Ducati Monster 696
Aprilia Mille
Honda VFR 800 Anniversary
Triumph Daytona T595
Yamaha TTR250
Honda XLR200
Ducati 996 Bip
BSA B40 trials
Yamaha TY175
Ossa MAR 350
SWM 350

My favourite was the Ducati 900SS
Mrs OFT favourite was Ducati Monster 900

Edit: Forgot the AJS 500 scrambler I bought for a fiver at age 13, and the Honda C90 used as a commuter during my apprenticeship.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
Put in an Ebay offer for a Burgman 400 then decided to buy the Silverwing only to find that it was sold............worrying the buyer then didn't work...........lost all interest for the moment, I'll use the Van Van through to April and then treat myself to a Sportster which is what I wanted all along. I think.:wacko:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
MT-09 are a nice bike (very Triumph-esk), a ball ache to do valve clearances on though so you can't have your cake and eat it I suppose..

Triumph Street Triples are nice as well, good handling bike and sound lovely.
Looking forward to doing mine, serious pain in the hydraulics..

If I don't chop it in for a GS before then 😂

keithmac

Guru
Yep, mines appproaching 16k so still a good couple years 😂😂

Every one I've been in needed shimming (cams out to do). Worth giving the throttle bodies a good clean too, you can put the bike into Diagnostic mode via the clocks and fully open the butterflies to get in fot cleaning.

Top Bottom