Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I no longer have time for motorcycling, my weekends are taken up with the pub & cycling, similarly, summer evenings. My next machine, just like the Van Van will be a commuter only, from normal life across the wacko badlands of Bradford to the hospital. A trailie would suit me better, can see more, kick myself upright, smack mirrors off easier, I used to own a KLR250 in the '90's and loved it and the extra power will be good after the Suzuki, filtering will be a breeze. The Silverwing will give me weather protection though, a comfier seat and luggage space for.......beer. Still seems like I am giving up a little bit on life though if I go for it.

I would love this as holiday on a 250 trailie. :okay:
https://www.transeurotrail.org/

Last edited:

woodbutcher

Veteran
Go for that holiday Mark F. the route takes you "past my door" so to speak ! Mind you if you manage the Pyrenees and circumnavigate Spain in one trip l would salute you dear Sir !!

pawl

Legendary Member
Mention of the CBT above made me think about when I took my test in 1971 at Barnet test centre.
I understand the test process now is drawn out and quite stringent. Back then the examiner stood by the roadside and asked me to keep going around the block until told to stop, this involved him jumping out from behind a parked car which counted as an emergency stop. Then three questions, needless to say I passed.

pawl

Legendary Member
Mention of the CBT above made me think about when I took my test in 1971 at Barnet test centre.
I understand the test process now is drawn out and quite stringent. Back then the examiner stood by the roadside and asked me to keep going around the block until told to stop, this involved him jumping out from behind a parked car which counted as an emergency stop. Then three questions, needless to say I passed.

Sounds exactly the same as the test I took in1961.No restriction on cc back then.Took mine on a 350 cc Matchless

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The motorcycle test is an expensive, lengthy, multi part process now. I doubt i could be bothered with it if i had my time again.
Same here. I took the simple "Round the block" test back in the day. I have to confess I failed the first one (The only I ever failed including several pro qualification tests I had to take). That first one was a disaster, it was P'ing down when I arrived at Loughton DTC and when I came out with the examiner the bloody CB175 wouldn't start! They had no rubber covering over the plug caps and it was shorting out (Replaced with aftermarket ones later that day). Anyway I had to bump start the bike all through the test as the examiner insisted on me switching it off every time I stopped for him to issue the next directions. The last time I had to do that, by now knackered and thoroughly hacked off I got up to bump start speed, leapt on, swung my right leg over the seat, caught my foot on the top box and rolled gracefully to the floor. He was not impressed.

The offending top box went in the bin when I got home and I've never fitted one since.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As someone who has indeed found it lengthy and expensive (and I'm not done yet)…have to say, I'm glad it's fairly taxing. Though a bit of slack on Mod 1 would be nice..... Given all the cagers out there with bugger all between the ears, bikers need to keep higher standards!

MarkF

Guru
The motorcycle test is an expensive, lengthy, multi part process now. I doubt i could be bothered with it if i had my time again.

Me neither, I was so lucky having viable transportation in 45-50mph mopeds, what a great time to be 16! Neither of my sons has any interest in m/bikes and I don't blame them despite them always being around the house, it's crazy, the cost and the hoops they'd have to jump through to get a license, just to do a very simple thing.

Smudge

Veteran
Same here. I took the simple "Round the block" test back in the day. I have to confess I failed the first one (The only I ever failed including several pro qualification tests I had to take). That first one was a disaster, it was P'ing down when I arrived at Loughton DTC and when I came out with the examiner the bloody CB175 wouldn't start! They had no rubber covering over the plug caps and it was shorting out (Replaced with aftermarket ones later that day). Anyway I had to bump start the bike all through the test as the examiner insisted on me switching it off every time I stopped for him to issue the next directions. The last time I had to do that, by now knackered and thoroughly hacked off I got up to bump start speed, leapt on, swung my right leg over the seat, caught my foot on the top box and rolled gracefully to the floor. He was not impressed.

The offending top box went in the bin when I got home and I've never fitted one since.

It was pretty hard to fail in those days. I forgot the route i was given and had to ride around searching for the examiner. When i finally saw him on the pavement waving his arms to flag me down, i pulled up to the curb next to him, whereby he gave me a bollocking for getting lost but said we'll call that the emergency stop. Back to the test center and was given a pass.
As for topboxes, they serve a purpose, i only use them when touring or going to a rally when i'm carrying camping gear..... but they make a bike look sh!t.

Small traillie like that would be perfect for me. Bit of green laning, head home via the pub.

I also have a strange urge for a quad, a proper 4x4 agricultural one. I have no use for one, no idea what I'd use it for, but I'd still like one.
I operate a Honda Fourtrax 420 at one of my volunteering groups, a 4x4 Agricultural quad. It's perfect for hoiking logs out of the woods with a trailer in first gear, but pretty horrible for blatting along farm tracks higher up the 'box. The axle width is narrower than a Landrover, so you end up with one wheel on the middle green bit of the track. A 250 trailie is much sweeter.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
I nearly bought a Pan European today, silly really as I only do a 15 mile round commute.................talk about overkill! No way could I filter through Bradford on that (unless it was a white one........), + with the wacky racers, it's just not nimble enough to avoid the regular "near misses".

But I am looking for a belt/shaft drive commuter "something" as I no longer have the free time to do any other motorcycling, seen a Honda Silverwing today, looks c.o.m.f.y and b.i.g. I've had 2 maxi-a scooters before, a Majesty 250 and a Burgman 400 and they were great fun. Any input on the Silverwing?

I can recommend a Kawasaki GT550.

Said the bloke selling a Kawasaki GT550.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Today I bought this. It was quite a bit worse than originally thought, but was also cheaper. Can't see it staying long, but tempted to try and get it to run.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Although I rode a motorcycle as a youth, I never took a test, just rode on L Plates.

I took, and passed, my Motorcycle test, age 65 years. Rather interesting, riding around with instructor and a posse of 17 year olds!

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
I can recommend a Kawasaki GT550.

Said the bloke selling a Kawasaki GT550.

I owned one maybe 15 years ago as a commuter, probably the ugliest bike I've ever owned and by some distance too. Super reliable and comfy though.:okay:

I viewed a 2002 ZX6R today and a MT-03 660 single, I've totally lost the plot and trying not to make a stupid decision.

Top Bottom