Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Can anyone advise me on welding a rear swinging arm on a 125 motorcycle for its mot , I can do the work myself no problem, but is welding something structural like this acceptable for the mot tester.

Gunk

Guru
You’d be better sourcing a used replacement

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't see the issue depending on where it is on the swinging arm, fused metal is as strong as normal metal

ren531

Über Member
It's a Suzuki EN125, I've had it 9 years and it's been badly repaired in the past but was covered in grime, grease and plastic parts but was going to paint the frame and make it tidier but it's in a bad way all the central bridge has rotted away, I rang the local motorcycle test place to ask their advise and they said "it's a stressed component so wont pass" so I think I will look for a used one but it may take a while.

Gunk

Guru
You’ll struggle to get one used, they’ve all rotted away. Get it off the bike, shot blast it. Weld it and have it powder coated with new bearings and it’ll be as good as new

Ripple

Veteran
Fell over a little bit. :whistle: Need an advice.
Exhaust guard is kept "in place" by a cable tie. I couldn't find a replacement for that guard so I will use exhaust glue (that's what ebay offers). I also found that an aluminium foil tape (heat resistant) can be used to repair these cracks. Would it be ok to use that tape? I won't wrap all over the guard obviously.

1.jpg

Fell over a little bit. :whistle: Need an advice.
Exhaust guard is kept "in place" by a cable tie. I couldn't find a replacement for that guard so I will use exhaust glue (that's what ebay offers). I also found that an aluminium foil tape (heat resistant) can be used to repair these cracks. Would it be ok to use that tape? I won't wrap all over the guard obviously.

View attachment 680764

Take it off.

ren531

Über Member
Can anyone advise me on welding a rear swinging arm on a 125 motorcycle for its mot , I can do the work myself no problem, but is welding something structural like this acceptable for the mot tester.

Just an update on this. I rang another mot testing place and he quoted the manual "as long as its as strong as original and the repair replaces the rotten metal section completely then it's acceptable" and as this was what I planned anyway were good to go.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just an update on this. I rang another mot testing place and he quoted the manual "as long as its as strong as original and the repair replaces the rotten metal section completely then it's acceptable" and as this was what I planned anyway were good to go.

Which is completely logical or you'd never be able to repair any vehicle

D

Deleted member 26715

Correct, but the swinging arm in question will be a pressed steel unit of several parts welded together

ren531

Über Member
Yes it's made up of three separate sections, the two tubular parts connecting the wheel axle to the front pivots are sound, it's the bridge across the two tubular sections at the front that's gone.

Top Bottom