Motorbike incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cjb

Cycling along a quite straight backroad today, not another vehicle in sight, when seemingly out of nowhere a high powered motorbike overtook me with inches to spare. To say the sudden noise made me jump would be a massive understatement and it was while before I recovered my composure. I would like to think he didn't do it deliberately, but I'm not too sure and it isn't the first time this has happened.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Cycling along a quite straight backroad today, not another vehicle in sight, when seemingly out of nowhere a high powered motorbike overtook me with inches to spare. To say the sudden noise made me jump would be a massive understatement and it was while before I recovered my composure. I would like to think he didn't do it deliberately, but I'm not too sure and it isn't the first time this has happened.

A lot of the motorbikers around here are absolutely mental. Console yourself that the odds are that Darwin will deal with them sooner or later. I've had similar happen to me on many occasions. One way of dealing with them is to move a little to the right before they pass, so just as they do, you have plenty of space to retreat into when they pass ridiculously close. Of course if you just happen to release a snot rocket as they pass, just put it down to poor timing as well :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

cjb

A lot of the motorbikers around here are absolutely mental. Console yourself that the odds are that Darwin will deal with them sooner or later. I've had similar happen to me on many occasions. One way of dealing with them is to move a little to the right before they pass, so just as they do, you have plenty of space to retreat into when they pass ridiculously close. Of course if you just happen to release a snot rocket as they pass, just put it down to poor timing as well :thumbsup:

The thing is I didn't hear him until he was next to me because of the speed he was travelling. It's a bit like low level jet fighters - by the time you know they're there it's already too late !!

Twigman

Darwin will deal with them sooner or later.
:rolleyes: bloody typical comment from non-motorcyclist

Why is it assumed all motorcyclists have a death wish?

I am probably one of those motorcyclists you've thought as 'absolutely mental' - 30 years of it behind me and I'm still here, all in one piece - I'll stop there before I tempt fate.

OP
OP
C

cjb

:rolleyes: bloody typical comment from non-motorcyclist

Why is it assumed all motorcyclists have a death wish?

I am probably one of those motorcyclists you've thought as 'absolutely mental' - 30 years of it behind me and I'm still here, all in one piece - I'll stop there before I tempt fate.

As a motorcyclist, do you know any of your fraternity who think it's fun to deliberately scare the s**t out cyclists by passing close to them at high speed with 120+ decibel exhausts?

byegad

Legendary Member
There's a local Ducati rider who is rather like your rider. He must be travelling at over well 100mph on one of the lanes we both use. There's every chance he'll kill himself and sadly take someone with him. Tosser.

the snail

Guru
Don't be too hard on motorcyclists - you might need an organ transplant one day :rolleyes:

Sheepy1209

Veteran
Why is it OK for cyclists to generalise about motorcyclists when we all complain at drivers generalising about cyclists?

(Yes, I ride a motorbike and just like when I'm cycling it's primarily a mode of transport. If I passed you on an A-road you'd hardly notice me.)

rustychisel

Why is it OK for cyclists to generalise about motorcyclists when we all complain at drivers generalising about cyclists?

(Yes, I ride a motorbike and just like when I'm cycling it's primarily a mode of transport. If I passed you on an A-road you'd hardly notice me.)

Obviously it's not, and you make a fair point.

There exists, however, a certain subset of motorcycle riders who are feckin' plonkers and think the world revolves around them, so that excessive speed and loud exhausts are their god-given right. Like boy racers, they always like to see what effect they have, so that the bloke who went past me a couple of years ago at close range with his front wheel in the air copped a nice big finger gesture. He saw it, then wanted to u-turn and make a fight of it until I pointed out I already had his rego plate on the phone camera and I'd be sending it straight to the police.

Knuckledraggers. It's really tempting to hope they take themselves out, but I refuse to lower myself to their level of engagement.

Oldbloke

Guru
This is known as "stealth bombing" by a few bikers who get some enjoyment from roaring at high speeed past other road users, particularly dozy car drivers, in an attempt to scare them *hitless.

Not clever, but neither is RLJing, walking in the road with a phone clamped to your ear oblivious to others, driving along shaving/drinking coffee, the list goes on.

Jezston

Über Member

Would you or Twigman like to point out where in this thread anyone has made any generalisations about motorcyclists?

Jezston

Über Member

You are saying you are the type of motorcyclist who would cut up a cyclist at 3-4 times their speed for a laugh?

You sound delightful.

byegad

Legendary Member
I rode a motorcycle for nearly twenty years, and travelling at highly illegal speeds on a country lane is a stupid thing to do. This is not a generalisation about motorcyclists, just a comment about one rider.

Top Bottom