Motorbike incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Benb, what I was intimating at is perhaps an overemphasis on following some intended doctorine (cyclecraft-primary or whatever you wish to call it), at the detriment of riding to suit the surroundings.

Certain situations require primary. Most require secondary.
I can't think of any that require a gutter riding position, except a bail out from a wider position.

If that's doctrine, then so is looking both ways before crossing the road.

oldroadman

Veteran
I'm not a pedestrian,a cyclist or a motorist,I'm just a human being.
Found on another forum. Perhaps all the stereotypers posting should consider this point of view.

Clive Atton

Über Member
The two highlighted points are probably related and are reinforcing each other.

You ride in the gutter on high speed roads, therefore the drivers do not need to move out, nor to think before they speed past you.

Riding out from the gutter is not designed to assert your road position, it instead puts you in a place where drivers are looking, it forces them to make a decision and deviate from line. If they still maintain a high speed, it gives you somewhere to escape to without hitting the kerb / verge.

Mmmmm, you ride on a high speed road so approaching cars MUST move out to pass you. I hope they aren't lighting a fag, answering the mobile or selecting a CD to listen to. Obviously that would be tremendous compensation to know they will be fined for careless driving after ploughing through you at 70mph. I would suggest keeping as far to the left as is possible without having to swerve around drain covers, litter etc is considerably safer. You rather presume 'drivers are looking', I'd rather presume they aren't and cycle 'out of harm's way' (to use an hideous Americanism) as possible.

This suggestion comes to you courtesy of a driver/rider, who according Mad@urage has left a trail of human destruction behind him wherever he travels.............

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If we lived in a perfect world we would have nothing go moan about and it would be so boring ! We will never change human nature, so one must accept the good and the bad. Enjoy each day as it comes.
That's it for my philosophy lesson for today. Back to reality now and watch the rugby world cup

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If we lived in a perfect world we would have nothing to moan about and it would be so boring ! We will never change human nature, so one must accept the good and the bad. Enjoy each day as it comes.
That's it for my philosophy lesson for today. Back to reality now and watch the rugby world cup

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Mmmmm, you ride on a high speed road so approaching cars MUST move out to pass you. I hope they aren't lighting a fag, answering the mobile or selecting a CD to listen to. Obviously that would be tremendous compensation to know they will be fined for careless driving after ploughing through you at 70mph. I would suggest keeping as far to the left as is possible without having to swerve around drain covers, litter etc is considerably safer. You rather presume 'drivers are looking', I'd rather presume they aren't and cycle 'out of harm's way' (to use an hideous Americanism) as possible.

This suggestion comes to you courtesy of a driver/rider, who according Mad@urage has left a trail of human destruction behind him wherever he travels.............

Happy to stick to secondary, ie 1 meter from curb, gutter, et al.

PedAntics

Regular
In my experience Motorcyclists are very courteous towards me when I am on my bicycle.

I agree, except for the nutter who shot past me last night "popping" a wheelie at break kneck speed. No issues with bikers but like all modes of transport you get inconsiderate / dangerous @-holes!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I saw the 'pedal bus' passing through Southwark the other week. This is an odd contraption for several people where you sit facing other riders opposite, all pedalling and moving forwards. Looked like great fun to try.

Anyway, as it was stuck at some lights, a motorcyclist came up behind it, revving his engine loudly as there was no room to pass. When the lights changed, he roared past at high speed and pulled a wheelie before shooting off down the road. He obviously didn't like getting stuck behind the pedibike and made his opinion known by pulling the wheelie. I just thought he was being an impatient dick as there was no need for it.

Why do some bikers ride machines that are so loud?. Surely they must contravene noise laws?. After seeing this penis-on-a-motorbike, I was reminded of an episode of South Park where the kids have there peace and quiet spoilt by a motorbike gang who ride around town but are disappointed that no-one pays attention to them and their excessively loud bikes (it's the one where Cartman tries to have bikers defined in law as 'gay').

Top Bottom